Was fast once!

janlafata

When I first setup uTorrent, I was having extreme browsing slowdown and an especially had time watching any online video, when I was downloading a torrent I have a cable connection and get about 1.45 Mbps download and .24 Mbps upload.

When I first started having this problem, I contacted you guys and the adjustments to the program that you recommended for me worked great. From then on I was able to surf just fine, with no noticeable slowdown.

Now, for some reason, and without me changing a thing, when I'm downloading a torrent, my browsing is once again slow and I can't figure out why. It also has affected my viewing of flash videos

2nd link in my signature...try the 256 kilobit/sec upload settings (or lower).

You can allow 2 downloading torrents at once if you want.

1st link in my signature, slow speed section and see if you can disabled/reduce whatever it is in uTorrent causing problems. Do note uTorrent may be the final trigger of the problem, but the condition may be another program or bad networking.

Thing is, I'm already at 5 kBps for Upload. Everything else is minimal also.Max Connections: 50, Number of connected peers: 25, number of upload slots: 2. Have also made al kind of recommended changes to the Advanced section.

I am running ipfilter.dat and update it regularly. Would that affect anything?

Also, I have no maximum download rate. Should I, and if so what do you suggest?

First of all, I just want to add, I believe I have solved the problem. But first, getting back to your question, here are all the advanced settings that were recommended in one of your posts and the ones I implemented:

Try lowering net.max_halfopen to 4 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

Try lowering bt.connect_speed to 10 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

Try disabling IP resolving in the Peers tab's context menu (this one I have never found)

Try disabling DHT (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

Try disabling UPnP and NAT-PMP (Can be found in Preferences > Connection)

Try disabling peer.resolve_country if it isn't already set to false (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

Try lowering maximum global number of connections to 200? 100? 50? Lower? (Can be found in Preferences > Bandwidth)

Try disabling uTP (set Preferences > Advanced > bt.transp_disposition to 5)

Maximum upload rate: 10

Number of upload slots per torrent: 3

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 35

Global maximum number of connections: 60

Now on to the good news!...I think I had mentioned that I had a concern about if ipfilter.dat may have been slowing things down. Well I tried a little experiment. In Vista I went in to Users/Name/AppData/Roaming and totally cleaned out the uTorrent folder.

There were some files in there that were not not related to ipfilter.dat and were probably key uTorrent files, but I had no problem reconfiguring everything with a quick update/reinstall. So I don't know if clearing out any ipfilter.dat info did the trick or just a reinstall to clear out other old files, but it worked and my surfing speed is just about back to normal and I'm able to watch flash video while downloading.

I don't know if this will come up again or if I should even mess with ipfilter.dat for the time being. I just hope this information helps others who might also be troubleshooting their speed concerns

:

Archived