My ISP knows what I'm uploading?

bashy

Okay so recently I downloaded some TV shows on my new Desktop PC. Now uTorrent has this little feature called protocol encryption which if I recall correctly protects me from my ISP knowing what I'm uploading or not. I received a letter of my ISP complaining that I'm downloading stuff for which I don't have a license (which I don't).

I use peerguardian on my laptop which has only 32-bit Vista but is there any way I can protect myself with 64-bit Vista? I like my ISP and don't want to have to switch and I also don't want to stop downloading.

PS: For all the people who will tell me that what I'm doing is wrong, I know it's wrong but I own the DVD's to that show which is the funny part.

With the way that BitTorrent works, there is no good solution besides NOT downloading copyrighted files you're not legally allowed to download.

Even a proxy server won't always help...because if the proxy server ever goes down, uTorrent will typically try to make outgoing connections using your regular ip.

maybe I worded that wrong.. how about what is the most he can do even if it's not a total solution. I guess it would be.. hey do this if it makes you feel better.. it might stop some things but won't solve ur problem. There is some security to be had out there I assume.. or are we just all screwed till they track us down lol.

Does an ISP know what you are doing or just that you are transfering a lot of data through their network.

Can they identify exactly what you are doing, would this not involve some form of snooping of all data traffic going through and determining the exact content of the data (including emails) and therefore breaching an individuals right to privacy?

There may be a lot of data coming from an individual connection but who is to say that that person is not downloading perfectly legal files or uploading family videos to be shared by family around the world?

I know here in Britain ISPs are required by law to retain emails and such for so long inline with so called anti-terrorism law but surely thats a case of holding onto the data without actually being aware of the content and then for the law with the required authorisation to then identify exact content of data.

Can an ISP determine if someone using a wireless router that has the encryption disbled allowing anyone to access the network to possibly download illegally? Also if a router is being used and many computers connected can an individual computer be identified as the machine downloading the illegal content?

This should answer your question (by reading between the lines) for what an ISP can theoretically do:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/virgin_bittorrent/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/virgin_bittorrent/comments/

...under comments, one poster stands out for saying:

"Two other sentences jump out at me here. "Berkett was clear...part of a broader strategy to "monetise the intelligence" in the Virgin Media network". And worse: "....said the firm intends to lead the ISP industry in new network services that exploit customer data"."

Archived