Port will not forward...

Hikui

My connection is as follows: Computer --> Netgear Router --> Actiontec Modem --> internet

I've followed all directions and at least triple checked my router to ensure that I've forwarded the port to my computer, which I have done. I have also set up a static IP on both my router and my computer. I've added the port as an exception to my firewall, and my modem has a firewall but currently it's disabled. I've forwarded the port from my modem to the IP address of my router, then forwarded the port from my router to the IP address of my computer.

Still, after all this, the port checker says that the port is not open. I don't even know what else I can possibly do now. Is there anything I'm missing..?

Thanks.

That's right, but you have to watch the addressing which is why it can be a little annoying. Routers have an IP address on the Internet side and the LAN side. The 192.168.whatever you enter to get to router config is the routers address on the LAN side. If the Actiontec has you forward by IP address, you need to use the IP address on the Netgears Internet side. Check the Netgears status page.

If the Actiontec has you forward by picking a device, then that isn't a problem as long as the router is hooked up at the time :|

GTHK HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. Turns out the router did indeed have an internet side and a LAN side, each with a different IP...

Wow. After four frustrating days and countless hours I've been forwarding my modem to the wrong IP address on my router. How confusing. It works now that I've forwarded the port from my modem to the internet side IP on my router.

Thank you so much.

Archived