Old torrents keep popping up upon restart

MasterJ30

I don't know exactly how to phrase this question, I've only been using utorrent for a short time but I love it.

Every time I turn off utorrent or turn off my computer, the next time I restart utorrent, all the torrents I currently had working are missing, and an old list of torrents I had long deleted/stopped seeding is there. Can anyone tell me what settings are wrong? It's like it's restoring utorrent to a past list or something....Sorry if that's confusing...Thanks, Jason

When I exit utorrent it comes up with an error message it says:

Unable to save the resume file, some data may be lost...Another program might have the file open or the disc is full. Please correct this and hit retry...If you press cancel the resume file will not be saved...

Everytime I try to hit retry it just beeps and won't do anything so I have to cancel....Then when it restarts the old list pops up again....

Can you help me? Thanks in advance....

I checked the Appdata folder and there is absolutely nothing in it...I think I accidentally deleted stuff when I cleaned out the torrent files....

When you quit uT, it need to save your history (torrent list) into file resume.dat.

So there is a problem on your computer. Verify the folder %appdata%\utorrent (and its contents) has read/write rights.

Check there is no security software (antivirus, antimalware) trying to protect this folder.

I'm sorry to sound so clueless, but I don't really know how to check if the folder is able to read or write. I've never changed anything in the past and this problem only started when I updated utorrent the last time.

As far as antivirus programs, again, I never had this problem before and I haven't changed AV programs...just to check I closed them all down and still when I went to close, it gave me the same error message.

Ok so renew the exceptions about uT in your antivirus/firewall, because there is something that prevents you from writing and saving history in resume.dat.

Check the properties of the folder (right click on it) and each file containing in this folder.

Another solution if that doesn't work:

close uT

make a backup copy of the contents of %appdata%\utorrent then erase the initial folder

open uT, you'll have to install again (follow instructions).

Then test with a torrent if uT saves your history.

I am just going to give up and accept that I'll just have to regrab any torrents if I shut down the computer.

I put an exception on the antivirus for the program, but I never ever had to do that in the past.

Also, I cannot delete the appdata utorrent folder...it pops up saying the folder is in use by a person or program, and I am the only user on the computer and I had shutdown the utorrent prior to attempting to delete it.

Finally, I do not know where this old list of torrents is coming from. there is NO resume.dat file in the appdata and the torrent files have been deleted. (up until a few moments ago, the complete folder was EMPTY, now it just has torrent files from the last couple of files I downloaded tonight, and a DHT.bat file and a dht.old file...but NO RESUME.DAT) How does it even know that old list since I got rid of all that info? I even uninstalled utorrent and downloaded it and reinstalled and the same list keeps coming up.

I thank you for the help but either I'm too stupid to figure out what to do or something is wrong that I can't fix. Thanks again, Jason

ps I really just wish I had never updated utorrent. I ignored the request to update to 1.8.3...whatever for a long time but I never had this problem until just a few days ago when I updated it. Should have left it as it was...oh well...

In the folder with the utorrent exe in it is that one file and that's it. It is under the Program files, and then the utorrent folder has exactly one thing, the execute file. In the app data folder is a dht.dat and dht.old.dat and then some torrent files...nothing that says resume.dat

Then I made sure that the folder options said Show Hidden files and checked again, nothing new appeared....

Therefore you have cleared your history & settings by deleting resume.dat and settings.dat if they are not present anymore in %appdata%\utorrent or Program Files\uTorrent.

You have to reload each .torrent file into uT (by default they are saved in %appdata%\utorrent).

http://www.utorrent.com/documentation/migrate (see autoload procedure to migrate a batch of torrents)

Next time don't erase files from folder %appdata%\utorrent without you know their role.

In your case, the only solution is reloading each torrent into uT, manually or automatically.

If .torrents have been deleted too, you have to redownload them from the trackers.

Archived