So what's truely fast?

tony42086

Ok, so here's the deal: I have comcast cable internet with a shade over 20Mbps down and about 2.5Mbps up. On a particular download I'm getting around 30-60 KBps (I believe that's what it's supposed to be cause it's either KBps/KiBps or Kbps/Kibps, not this kBps like displayed on u torrent). Anyways, the file is 10.3 GB. I'm connected to 12 of the current 27 peers and no seeds. My upload is 10 KBps. My firewall is windows and it has u torrent as an exception. I fully understand that this is a P2P network and ones download speeds are based on other users upload speed, but is my download speed slow? It seems like it could be a lot faster. When I use Internet Download Manager it zips through various other downloads in a snap. My guess would be I'm experiencing a bottleneck due to slow up speeds from other users? Would I be right in assuming such, or is there some much needed tweaking needing to be done?

Ok, first off, under the utorrent gui, under download/upload speed, it's clearly marked kB/s, which stands for kilobytes per second. It would be abbrv. as bps (bits per second) if that were the case. Also, I know that comcast is a hostile ISP, but that's only because it won't allow seeds (which is the only negative thing I could find). With that said, is that the most likely reason I'm stuck at around 30-60KBps?

To post #3

> under the utorrent gui, under download/upload speed, it's clearly marked kB/s, which stands for kilobytes per second.

Despite the abbreviation it could be kilobytes per second or kibibytes per second. uTorrent indicates size of torrents, for example in KB, but actually it's in KiB. What a mess... I'd prefer they use decimal prefixes instead of binary. At least with decimal prefixes I can calculate the duration of prospected download / upload, because speed (bytes per second) of download/upload is measured in decimal, not in binary. For example, your download speed 20 Mbps is equal (20 / 8 = ) to 2.5 MBps. Then you may estimate duration of the job (approximately). You can't do that calculation if size of torrent is measured in MiB (binary) and speed is measured in MBps (decimal). :(

> Also, I know that comcast is a hostile ISP, but that's only because it won't allow seeds (which is the only negative thing I could find). With that said, is that the most likely reason I'm stuck at around 30-60KBps?

II've seen connections from Comcast doing very well time to time. They can easily download to my client more then 300 - 400 KBps (sometimes even more) taking back from me my full upload bandwidth. So, I presume, it depends...

What upload speed was at the time you've got this 30-60KBps download?

U know what's truely funny? I took this same torrent and uploaded it in Limewire and I've downloaded 1GB in about a min (about 14, 000 KBs). I'll have this 10 GB file that I've been downloading with u torrent for 2 days now done in about 10-15 mins. Does u torrent just suck, or do I have it configured horribly wrong? Any 1 interested in helping me I'll email some pics of screen shots taken of my settings (or if some 1 could tell me how to post those pics in my post I'll do that instead). If someone could bale me out, I would really appreciate it, if not, I guess I'll just use Limewire.

Archived