Constant choking on one torrent?

crossmr

I've got a torrent which just isn't behaving.

I've uploaded to this particular tracker before

I'm the initial seeder.

Every single peer who tries to connect to me (currently 9 leechers) either throws up a "u" or "U" and then disconnects.

I had another torrent running for a short time, I could upload no problem, people were connecting to me left and right. Sending great speed. So I dropped it.

Still nada.

Port is open

I know either the U or u is their fault and one is supposedly my fault, but no peer will stay connected to me for very long. Even after like 6 hours I've only managed to upload about 20 MB out of 1.4 gb..

Some clients are bitcomet, some utorrent, some azeurus.

I can't do anything about them if they're choked but for the ones I'm choking, anything I can do to sort that out?

My line is fiber 100/10Mb the other torrent is doing nothing. I'm 1 of 2 seeded and 0 leechers. Another torrent was uploading no prob ( different tracker) so I killed it for now. After many hours finally one person could connect to me. I'm mobile now but if you are talking about connection settings i have it sent to 100KB up 200 connections global 100 per torrent 10 upload slots. When I last checked 2 people were connected to me but I want to figure out why I'm choked with no connections like that

I should mention I also tried running this as regular seed and initial seed, still nada.

and I also restarted my machine and router (but with other torrents working fine, I figured that wasn't a problem)

Private trackers are often very over-seeded and as such uploading on them is very hard.
I'm the initial seeder.

I can't see how that would have been an issue.

But another possible explanation could be a software firewall that's interfering.

I have no software firewall.

uploading other torrents was going lightning fast with lots of people connecting.

Which "u" is my fault

if I see a peer connect and I get a "U" am I choked or are they choked?

"Which "u" is my fault"

"u" could be the result of too few upload slots allowed, but your upload speed limit may be too low for the ways your splitting it.

"if I see a peer connect and I get a "U" am I choked or are they choked?"

They're choked on their end. They're allowed to upload from you...but are stalled or choked for some unknown reason.

Initial seeding mode WILL choke peers until the shared piece appears on another peer. It's almost always slower than regular seeding mode...but presumes it's not wasting upload speed on duplicate pieces.

My upload was set to 100K, 8 upload slots, I later adjusted that by allowing a higher upload (200K, 10 slots)

I tried running both modes, initial seeder and just regular seed, it made no difference. Each mode would run through all the peers and just do nothing.

I think of the nine, most were "U" so that would indicate a problem on their end (maybe their connection was maxed) right?

However, I did see 1 or 2 throw up a "u" but I had nothing else running at that time, there should have been no issue with them getting an upload slot.

It took a long time but after a few hours I was able to get like one person who was able to connect to me consistently and by the end of the torrent with 20 leechers, I had about 3 people who could connect to me, but it was always the same 3 people. No one else could seemingly connect to me. I've uploaded a lot of torrents before but I've never seen a torrent behave this way before.

I recalled seeing a couple of people from hmm.. I think the flag was malaysia that seemed to be able to consistently connect. I'm in Korea. In fact the majority of the torrent went through one person, so great for their ratio.

The finally finished after quite a bit of time.

I've uploaded a second torrent and again it seems to be the same situation. The site isn't a hugely popular site, so I think I'm going to see a lot of the same peers on this torrent.

I've got a Fin, American and a hungarian

but I know the torrent again sat there with 3 or 4 leechers for quite some time before someone came along that could connect. Throwing up more "u" and "U".

I've got a limit of around 200k, only using 30 connected to 3 of 9 peers and apparently it can't seem to add anyone else.

I know bittorrent does that whole preference for geographically closer seeds, but that shouldn't apply when I'm the only seed right?

I've turned on all the logging. Is there something I should be looking for in the logs that might tell me what is going on?

Then you DO NOT know bittorrent, because it does NOT and has NEVER done this.

Calm down.

I had just been giving this explanation on a private tracker as to why my upload is often idle on torrents with lots of leechers.

I've constantly run into a situation like the following:

Uploading at full speed as an initial seed

within minutes of a few other people getting seed, my up drops to zero and I never up another thing. Even on torrents where there are still 50 or 60 leechers.

The explanation given to me was that those people who made seed were closer than the me (I'm in Korea, most of the other users are in north america) so I was told they were given preference. If thats not the case, then I'll need to start another thread to try and figure out what is going on there. I took the admin of the site at his word, I guess I shouldn't have done that.

In the meantime I'm still getting a choking issue. As I noted last night I was connected to a fin and an american. They're still connected (As far as can tell same 2 people), hungarian is nowhere to be seen. I just saw another peer pop up and then disappear instantly, but I didn't catch if it was a U or a u (its early). I notice the people who are connected, have the flags U and E, so if I see a U flag it shouldn't be a reason for a disconnection. If I see some users connecting and instantly disconnecting after seeing a small "u" what should I look for in the log? will it tell me anything?

Have you tried the Glasnost BitTorrent test? (google it for more details.)

I have not. I'm going out in a couple hours, I'll set it up to run then and see what it tells me. I don't think the ISP is doing anything because I had another torrent simultaneously flying at high speed with lots of connections.

Perhaps I'm getting unlucky and connecting to some full-up peers who all have issues on this one tracker. the next thing I up will be on another tracker we'll see if it goes any better.

Well I tested and got an odd result. It says there is potential limiting as they only hit 32kb/sec... but I know I've had torrents uploading at 100K without issue..just not these particular ones, during that initial torrent, I had another torrent on an open tracker going up at 90K, so I killed it to keep it from interfering with the private one. I'll test again later and see if I get different results. Even with a rate limit, that should interfere with speed, not with actual connections right?

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6883) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* Your ISP possibly rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP uploads achieved at least 193 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved at most 32 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10011) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* Your ISP possibly rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP uploads achieved at least 192 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved maximal 33 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6883) throttled?

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6883. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 279 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 192 Kbps. You can find details here.

I did the full test again, the upload was twice as high this time, but so was the TCP upload.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* Completed BitTorrent and TCP transfers using the BitTorrent port 6881:

Transfer Speed TCP Speed BitTorrent Conclusion

Download #0 1569 Kbps 1613 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #1 1497 Kbps 1623 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #2 1644 Kbps 1555 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #3 1607 Kbps 1620 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #4 1538 Kbps 1025 Kbps No rate limiting

Upload #0 722 Kbps 72 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Upload #1 755 Kbps 13 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Upload #2 586 Kbps 73 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Upload #3 672 Kbps 69 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Upload #4 733 Kbps 70 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10009) throttled?

* Completed BitTorrent and TCP transfers using the non-BitTorrent port 10009:

Transfer Speed TCP Speed BitTorrent Conclusion

Download #0 1433 Kbps 1539 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #1 896 Kbps 1511 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #2 1539 Kbps 1621 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #3 1563 Kbps 1563 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #4 1607 Kbps 1614 Kbps No rate limiting

Upload #0 553 Kbps 71 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Upload #1 553 Kbps 70 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Upload #2 625 Kbps 71 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Upload #3 682 Kbps 72 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Upload #4 607 Kbps 70 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* Comparing TCP transfers using the well-know BitTorrent port 6881 and the non-BitTorrent port 10009:

TCP Transfer BitTorrent port Non-BitTorrent port Conclusion

Download #0 1569 Kbps 1433 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #1 1497 Kbps 896 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #2 1644 Kbps 1539 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #3 1607 Kbps 1563 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #4 1538 Kbps 1607 Kbps No rate limiting

Upload #0 722 Kbps 553 Kbps No rate limiting

Upload #1 755 Kbps 553 Kbps No rate limiting

Upload #2 586 Kbps 625 Kbps No rate limiting

Upload #3 672 Kbps 682 Kbps No rate limiting

Upload #4 733 Kbps 607 Kbps No rate limiting

Glasnost results look almost definitively like your ISP is throttling BitTorrent.

"Even with a rate limit, that should interfere with speed, not with actual connections right?"

I don't understand your question/context here. If the ISP is crippling/throttling, ALL BETS ARE OFF...they can be secretly doing all kinds of things that are hard to verify without being able to monitor both ends of the BitTorrent connection.

It is kind of strange that they would throttle. Bittorrent is not that popular in Korea. There are only like 1 or 2 bittorrent sites in the country, people here still use edonkey or harddrive style sharing websites.

I wonder if its possible that its being throttle somewhere between here and glasnots servers.

is there an alternative test out there through another site/server?

My question was more of: just because they're throttling, does it mean they're interfering in making the actual connection? my experience tells me no as there have been plenty of torrent where I've gotten tons of connections and upload full speed no problem.

[edit]

This is why I can't believe they're actually throttling and I don't really believe the glasnot test. I'm currently connected to a single peer on a private tracker and uploading at 140KB/s to him, and have been for quite some time.

If they were rate limiting that wouldn't happen.

Are there any alternative tests? Hosted in other countries, etc

I noted some other people in South korea also took this test and it claimed they were limited, but one guy said he was pumping up 1MB/s on one torrent before taking the test.

I can't double post, so hopefully someone will see this.

• 2 weeks later...

There could be time-of-day or during heavy congestion throttling which wouldn't show up at all the rest of the time.

If you're using wireless networking in your LAN or worse USB to connect to the network, then uTorrent needs more conservative settings (and extra features such as DHT, LPD, Resolve IPs probably disabled).

Archived