Windows 7 Socket Error

fishbone

Hey guys, recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and I am now back to getting the error I used to get on XP SP3 before I patched TCP-IP.SYS

An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full

This error shows for every single tracker for every single torrent. It does NOT show as an event in Event Viewer.

I am using the latest version of uTorrent

System is an AMD Barton 3200+, 2 GB RAM, system set to automatically manage swap.

Antivirus is AVG9 Free, firewall is PC Tools Firewall Free, set to allow all incoming and outgoing uTorrent connections. Default Windows 7 mainboard drivers (EpoX 8RDA3I, nForce 2 chipset, Realtek on-board nic)

I have read these threads:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=45824

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=45588

No luck. I also looked here

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992#p258231

I also followed the conservative network settings and am using the limits for 384kbps upload, which is what I have:

Max global connections 90, max connected peers per torrent 40, max slots 4. Max global upload speed set to 28kbps

I have changed bt.connect_speed to 8 and net.max_halfopen to 4

I have disabled UPnP and NAT-PMP

What the hell else can I try and should I do? What am I missing?

uTorrent seems to work just fine, I go to bed, wake up in the morning to that error and a dead connection. Can't surf the web, can't do anything. I have to restart to get it going again.

Like I said, I used to get the same thing in Windows XP SP3 but ever since I patched the tcpip, everything was fine and never had a problem.

I think I disagree but I will uninstall and try it without PC Tools. The thing is I just tried uTorrent on my laptop, Windows 7 64-bit, same antivirus, same firewall and utorrent works just fine even with more aggressive connection limitations. 200 global, 80 per torrent. I will let you know if I have any luck.

I have uninstalled PC Tools Firewall, bumped the connection limits a wee bit and it's been several hours now, absolutely no errors. I'll give it some more time but I think it turns out it was in fact PC Tools' doing. I don't seem to have this problem on my laptop, however.

What I find absolutely irritating about Comodo's package is the Defense+ mechanism which drove me insane with notifications and alerts, no matter how long I had it in training.

Great link though, plenty to choose from. I personally like Outpost the best but on XP SP3 it's been giving me BSODs on this system. I'll give it a shot under Windows 7.

I don't think I have the firewall engine installed I believe. I did find that PCtools keeps something running even when you shut it down.... PCToolsSSDMonitor and another process that goes with it.

Also, if you search microsoft issues, I found something discussing protocols running.... I ran the search option listed in the cmd prompt...listed several running.... apparently these can add to the socket full issue. I haven't been able to wrap my head around all of it yet though.

I played with some settings in utorrent and turned some things down...Maybe that will do it.

Also, The new windows firewall in windows 7, is a bit more in depth and u can add rules. I noticed Utorrent has inbound rules added automatically upon install, but no outbound rules.... I added a simple outbound rule...maybe that did the trick...we shall see...

UPDATE

nope once i started getting multiple connection types, it did it again

ANOTHER UPDATE

Restarted machine this morning due to another lock up..... when i did, I unistalled PC Tools Spyware Doctor.... After coming home from work today, No socket Errors...

Archived