How to cleanly close uTorrent

b-morgan

I use uTorrent when I'm downloading a new version of Knoppix or Ubuntu on a Windows XP machine behind a Linux firewall. I have forwarded the (one) port required from the firewall to the uTorrent machine and while uTorrent is running, all appears to be normal.

The download(s) complete and I leave uTorrent running for another day or so to seed back but when I shutdown uTorrent, my firewall logs thousands of "attacks" on ports other than the forwarded port for days after I stopped uTorrent. This traffic eventually dies down to my normal hundred or so "attacks" per day. The next time I download something with uTorrent I'm back to the thousands of "attacks" for a few days after closing uTorrent.

Am I doing something wrong in the way I close uTorrent? Have I not configured uTorrent properly to work behind my firewall? Is this aftermath of traffic just a normal side-effect of the protocol?

Thanks for your responses.

Regards,

Brad

I'd be happy to tell my firewall to "shut up" if I knew (or could limit) the ports being used for this aftermath traffic. The only thing the firewall knows is that traffic on the initial port chosen by uTorrent should be forwarded to the machine running uTorrent.

The aftermath traffic does NOT have this initial port as either the source port or the destination port. Most of the traffic is limited to a small number of destination ports.

Can you help me determine what additional ports need to be configured in the firewall to "ignore" this aftermath traffic?

Regards,

Brad

Archived