4226 despite patch _and_ only 8 halfopen

QauNuckShin

Ok, so before 1.4 everything was fine.. Then, things started to freak out.

Simply put, when µTorrent is running, I can barely surf. It's really weird. Right now, my halfopen setting is at max 8, and I've patched the SP2 limit to allow 100. I've lowered all my settings. I allow 5 torrents to run at a time (all uploading right now), at 25 kB each. I allow 40 connections total; 10 per torrent and 10 upload per torrent. Global max up rate is 400 (which is not reached right now, cause 25 *5 = 125 kB). I have a 10/10 Mbit connection, so it shouldn't be choked by these speeds at all.

My router is a Netgear RP614v2, with latest firmware update. Everything works nicely otherwise, and it's really weird that µTorrent would do this (especially at these _low_ settings; I had much higher in 1.3).

Anyone with an idea? Maybe someone could point me to a good networking monitor?

Oh, btw.. Running AVG antivirus, but that shouldn't matter.

Are you using UPnP and/or DHT?

Are the torrents you're trying to connect to overloaded with firewalled seeds/peers?

If your µTorrent tries to connect to a firewalled seed/peer, it naturally fails...and takes potentially a minute or so to do it. There seems some weird conditions that can also occur which leave those connections unclosed even 10+ minutes later. These pile up...then bad things happen.

DHT is on, UPnP is off.

Now, get this. My ISP is going to shut down for 4 days now, for maintenance. How much does _that_ suck? Anyways, thanks for trying to help, but I'm not going to be able to test it for a few days now. Might still check in here from school, though.

And another edit. Once again, I feel so stupid. Sorry for wasting your time. I was using the onboard NIC on an ASUS A8V (NIC was Marvell Yukon 88E8001 something), but before I had a PCI NIC, which I removed. Totally forgot about that. I reinserted it and disabled the onboard one, and what do you know, it seems to work. Not sure quite yet, but it's looking pretty good.

Anyways, thanks for helping, and sorry for wasting your time.

Even with an Intel PCI NIC directly connected to a DSL modem, I still get error 4226 occasionally, usually when closing & opening µTorrent. DHT off, UPnP off, standard tcpip.sys, halfopen set to 8.

Not a big deal though.

Thanks for the suggestion, but µTorrent does a pretty good job of keeping error 4226 to a minimum so I'm not going to patch it. (I don't like having to repatch every time a new security fix to tcpip.sys comes out, which seems to be quite often lately ...)

Archived