Report Problem

TraumaDoc

What is the deal with this newest version reporting problems back to utorrent without my permission. Is this the beginning of spyware within utorrent? I don't want any reporting of anything, period.

What's up with this? How to disable it?

Yes, what an unsuspected addition with no obvious way to disable it.

Shame on U Utorrent :mad:

Edit: A temporary solution is to add a firewall block rule for the uTorrent ip address 67.215.233.130

at least until they post a solution. You will need to disable this rule if you need to visit this site.

Wow, how paranoid. :P It's the hang diagnostic for the UI thread to help debug problems with the UI freezing up.

How dare we try to diagnose and fix problems. Why -are- you so paranoid about it? Do you not submit crashdumps either?

Really, not being able to turn it off is just an oversight.

Wow, how paranoid. tongue It's the hang diagnostic for the UI thread to help debug problems with the UI freezing up.

How dare we try to diagnose and fix problems. Why -are- you so paranoid about it? Do you not submit crashdumps either?

Really, not being able to turn it off is just an oversight.

Paranoid or not, that is not the problem. Let me ask you 'Do you leave the front door of your house open so anyone can enter? Do you lock your front door sometimes? or Do you leave it always unlocked?

I know why uTorrent was hanging and it was not because of uTorrent, it was hanging because of the high load on my CPU from other apps i.e. WinRAR, JDownloader and others. All we ask is to have the option available to enable or disable automatic reporting if problems with the application occur.

No, I don't submit Crash Dumps.

He's complaining because 2.0 started reporting hang diagnostic information instead of just crash dumps. The problem is solved by 2.0.1 adding an option to stop all reporting. I hope that's more clear Bellzemos.

Also notmetoo hang reports helps the developers find out about problems caused by third party applications too. So reporting hangs could help solve problems caused by your apps.

I am happy to send back any information to help fix bugs and help developers make this piece of software even better. If they made it easier to do this i am sure it would also be easier to find the answers. I know so many people just get angry and shut off a program instead of reporting the problem because they do not know how to, this does not help anybody. I like it because i dont need to think about it, just happens. I wish it also made crash dump files, ect. i know Microsoft has something that reports problems but i am not sure if it actually helps.lol but at least to can click it on and off. I rather give back then take. It be nice for this program to have it's own immune system that sent back bug reports and system errors that we can work with. Just a thought

For anyone wondering why the option isn't actually anywhere to be found in the current µTorrent v2.0.1 b18284, it was a silly issue with the option not actually being exposed in the UI, even though the option itself is completely implemented. Will be there for the next build as Preferences > Advanced > gui.report_problems.

• 1 month later...

The reason that the OP (and myself) were upset is because the issue is not for µTorrent to diagnose. µTorrent "hangs" on our systems not because µTorrent is faulty, but because our systems are under load—and frankly, this it to be expected at least semi-frequently on pretty much anyone's system. (Maybe the µTorrent devs think like most people, that their's is the only entity in our lives.) When the CPU and/or hard drive is busy with other tasks, µTorrent does not get enough time with the resources, and so it does not respond as well as it would on an idle system (especially if you set it to low-priority which smart users who actually have to use their systems while downloading in the background would). Thus, it is not a problem with µTorrent, but with the fact that we don't have fancy, new multi-core super-computers to run it on (or spare systems lying around to dedicate to running µTorrent), and therefore is none of µTorrent's business. Would you expect an app to report back to the authors that the display is not correct every time you turned off your monitor? Why should it, it is not because the app displayed incorrectly, it's because you turned off you monitor. If Microsoft sent a report to its servers to report a "problem" that the Start button was not visible every time that you went full-screen with a game, people would be freaking out! Same issue here.

What's even worse however is that by reporting false problems back to their servers, µTorrent is adding significant overhead to the bandwidth and CPU usage. I have had times when there were several hundred such entries in the log. That certainly doesn't help with anything since it puts more load on my system, causing it to take that much longer to finish, and reports a false-positive to the devs. (That's another thing: I expect that their servers have since been inundated with these useless messages, wasting their own bandwidth, disk space, and time.)

• 3 months later...

uTorrent also sends a hang report whenever your PC comes back from standby/hibernate. All of the hang reports in my log coincided with the times I turned my PC back on after a sleep state. This should be easier to detect I feel so the hang report can be avoided completely in such situations.

• 1 month later...
uTorrent also sends a hang report whenever your PC comes back from standby/hibernate. All of the hang reports in my log coincided with the times I turned my PC back on after a sleep state. This should be easier to detect I feel so the hang report can be avoided completely in such situations.

The reason that happens is because when µTorrent calculates the difference between the current time (after resuming from standby) and the previous time (before going into standby), the difference turns out to be big (equal to the amount of time that the system was in standby mode). Since the difference is too big, µTorrent thinks that a lot of time has passed between consecutive calls and so it thinks that the system was hung for a while, even though only a second or two of online time may have passed between calls.

The same thing happens with SpeedFan. Whenever I come out of hibernation, the graph becomes extremely messed up.

As a dev, I can't think of an efficient/effective way to take semi-offline status into account for systems like this. :|

Archived