Turn off hashing for a specific torrent

WLGades

Is there an option in utorrent to disable hashing for a specific torrent? Obviously hashing is necessary for regular downloads, but if you've just created a torrent for a file you're seeding, is it possible to skip the hashing phase altogether? I looked throughout the forums/faq and searched, but didn't find anything in either feature requests or here. I figured I'd post before asking for it as a feature request. :-)

No, it's just a precaution to make sure you really do have all the data, or nothing got corrupted/missing after you created the torrent. It doesn't take that long anyway (even if it's big), so it shouldn't be too bad.

Hm, but I'd prefer that as a user-controlled setting versus it mandated by the client. Especially given that every single bittorrent client does hashing on the download side (a great thing), it's more or less impossible to send incorrect data.

The last torrent I hopped on was a 17 GB torrent I was seeding, and it took around 10 minutes to finish hashing. It's fine if it's just quietly churning away in the background, but of course it's all disk-reads so the rest of the system has to fight to get whatever reads it needs. I'd rather not have to do that, especially given that I just went through that process to create the torrent. :-)

Hm... I see your logic, but I think I it'd be better with just the extra precaution. If it turns out that your data indeed did get corrupted, and you find out after having distributed, it'll have wasted everyone's bandwidth. Of course, I can be very wrong about this, and maybe there's some way to stop the hash checking... I'm fairly sure about it though =T

Hm, but I'd prefer that as a user-controlled setting versus it mandated by the client. Especially given that every single bittorrent client does hashing on the download side (a great thing), it's more or less impossible to send incorrect data.

Even though there are stops along the way that cause the data to be recieved corrupt even though it was sent clean.

If you're going to be seeding, hash checking on the first launch after making the torrent is a good idea (I've had hard drive damage occur between making the torrent and seeding it. Odd I know, but it has happened to me personally).

After the first hash check, the fast resume data is saved and you don't need to rehash as long as you don't move the files or remove the torrent from uTorrent's list.

Archived