My download slows to a creep after a bit

gurjs

my download speeds are usually around 800-900 kbps sometime even 1.2 mb

now when im downloading its goes realy high then it goes down like around 10 kbps

then after i restart utorrent again its fast as hell then slows down again. what the hell is going on i know there must be a setting i have to change but i have tried alot of different things like adjusting my upload rate, even tho i usually cant upload more then like 30 kbps even tho on the speed tests i get like 8 mbps down and like 330 kbps up... everything is fine on my end the green light is on my ports are fine...... WHAT COULD IT BEEEE ??? thanks

hey i have tried changing the advance settings did the speed guid ive done it all i dont know why my speed drops down each time. a while back utorrent never acted like this i have even tried a few older versions and the same thing or worse.. i use 2.02 now. since utorrent worked fine a while ago is there a way to erase every utorrent data on my comp not just the settings...... or any other ideas would really help... thanks for your time man

my setting are 200 total connections and 50 per torrent connections... ive tried changing those settings but no change. i ve done the speed guide and set it properly but im baffled why my download speed drops suddenly...... is there something i need to change in the disk cache section. thanks 4 ur time

set it to what the speed guide has recomended

well i just tried using bitorrent 6.4 and i am getting the same speed with no speed drops what so ever, i almost cant beleive it. there should be some settings i could change in my utorrent to make it

run like bitorrent im just not sure what they are. others are having this problem also so this might be a solution. cheers

speed test say i get around 7 mb down and .33 mb up

i use 50 connections per torrent and 200 all together but i have played with these settings they dont fix my speed drops as well as a few other settings

ok i see but why do i stil get these sudden speed drops..... it happens all the time even with really high seeds... it will be at like 800kbps then it goes down to like 100 and never get back to where it was.... why is it doing that

lol nah my isp is good it doesnt throttle cuz i get good speeds with bittorrent but it just takes a bit longer to reach them....utorrent climbs to my peak of around 900k's no problem then drops oh well its all good

This is what was just happening to me- I normally have fast speeds, but recently it would start off well but within 5-10 minutes it would just DROP to 10k. I even left the torrents go for 2 days, just in case I was simply having bad luck at that moment and it just needed to find the right peer or seed. When I checked after 2 days, they looked as though they had been at 10k or even just STOPPED for most of the time, as they were only up to 1.7%.

At first I though maybe my ISP started throttling all of a sudden (which I thought to be unlikely, but possible), so I set the protocol encryption to enable and checked the legacy connection box.

At about the same time, I came across stuff about uTP and 2.0.2 and overhead and how uTP, in essence, hogs bandwidth, only to not even use it. Which is weird, because apparently uTP was WRITTEN to detect if anything else wants the bandwidth, and to back off accordingly. All I know is that it's only doing this in version 2.0.2, so I don't know if the default settings for it are different or something, but on MINE, the default setting was 31 and I changed it to 29, which would mean I simply disabled outgoing uTP connections, leaving everything else the same. The advanced setting to change is bt.transp_disposition, BTW.

Thirdly, I set the dht.rate so it's NOT "-1", and at least above 100,000. I have mine set at 4,000,000 right now.

I'll bet it'll work after these things...

well did what u did but now i cant connect to that many peers and my dl rate is like 100k's on well seeded torretns....... id rather leave it the way it was with the speed drops cuz i would reach 1mb for like 10 mins then it would drop.....then i just close and reopen utorrent and its back up again lol

so frustrating i never had this problem like 4 months ago i dont know i might try a diff version or something

i will review the guide.

i did not try the uTP adjustment.

i will try it soon, if conditions persist.

i down-graded to 1.8.2 and tweaked my static ip config.

about a 67% improvement.

still not as good as i remember.

neither am i as good as i remember. =P

thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived