test - PPS draft

rafi

Firon:

Computers had no problem with opening a crapton of connections before XP SP2. And they sure don't after Vista removed the stupid halfopen limits.

I agree. But the issue is (I guess) "crappy network equipment" and possibly redundant connecting traffic , and not "crappy PCs"... :P

I'll do my best below to answer Greg Hazel's comments.

I have also to emphasize - that I have no issue with PPS on my own PC/router. My ISP though, seems to think otherwise regarding his equipment.

Greg Hazel: How high is PPS compared to previous uT releases?

The topic is about connection related PPS. So, If I tell you that it's ~500+% higher than 1.85 during speed buildup/connections generation (when connections #< max # of peers to connect) would you believe me ?

So, I suggest that you do your own homework and measure it . It's not that difficult. Even for you guys... :P

Anyways, keeping PPS as low as possible is best, regardless.

My theory:

+100% - adding outgoing uTP as default

+50-100% - the uTP retries

+300% - incrementing max_halfopen from 8 to 400 (actually - more-packets/for-longer-duration)

Is this amount still too high for some crappy routers?

Dunno for myself. Other people/mods/ISPs in this forum seem to think that it is. You try it out, and tell me what is an acceptable #, and I can then tell you if it's high or not.

I'm sure that you are much better equipped/capable than me in measuring data on the various OSes (I have only one).

[a.concurrent uTP/TCP connects:]

OK. Let's get everyone to use uTP and then we can switch off TCP attempts.

I agree. But until this utopia is realized (in 3-5 years?), let's try and deal with current reality instead.

Maybe improve on this x2/+100% factor (and it's much increased with retries) by sending TCP after uTP requests only on time-outs or visa-versa ?

[b.uTP connect retries]

Uh, the behavior here is no different from TCP.

... B) Should we not retry TCP connections either?

OK, than I was wrong, this multiplies the related PPS X6 times than the connect_rate (I was measuring uTP only, since it's new/added in v2.x).

If you measure the statistics on success rate of the retries (2nd/3rd ones), then we can logically deduct if this contributes to more connections, or more PPS ;) . For now, I take the number of 90% un-connect-able peers as a criteria, and I deducted that we better save our breath (PPS...) here. And yes, maybe not retry both protocols ...

Not hammering peers will be a good result too. Alternatively - one retry will also improve PPS.

Haha.

A) I believe most peers support uTP.

Great. so we'll need less TCP connects if done sequentially after uTP... ( I was going to say - "not for long", first ... ;) )

Again, newer versions (and for that matter, older versions) of Windows do not have a max halfopen limit anymore.

So, this is no different from TCP. Also, since a significant amount of bandwidth is not consumed with connection

attempts, I have a hard time believing PPS is significantly higher as a result of concurrent connections per second.

1. Again, the topic is about connecting-related-PPS, not bandwidth (and I also think it does NOT consume much bandwidth)

2. You don't need to believe anything. Just test it. You tell me if x2 of the connect speed (+100%) is significant or not (unless you divide connect_speed by 2 - for concurrent TCP+uTP)

3. halfopen has different effects on # of packets/PPS - it does not effects directly the PPS, but the packets' burst duration.

4. hugely increased max_halfopen will make the connection attempts keep for a much longer period of time (theoretically - 400/10 = 40 seconds minimum).

[cycling peers' list]

There is no peer list "cycle". Peers are tried in random order if we have not retried them too recently.

I'm sure I don't know the exact details here (I assumed it is implemented this way). Random is good (equal rights for peers?...). I would try to exhaust the whole list first before re-trying an unresponsive peer, so to increase the change for success.

If uT is retrying a peer, there is no one to move on to.

You better double check the code than. Since I've noticed retries starting right on startup, also with a 10K+ peers list. It is my impression that it is triggered just by connect timeout. If it should be like you say (and we assume bugs exist in utopia too) - just make it so, and the result is similar to what I referred to as "cycle" the peers' list. Problem solved :)

Outgoing connections, @10K+ swarm, all inputs - firewalled , only TCP and only uTP runs

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4922/tcpretryx336s.png

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9035/utpretryx4246s.png

You still haven't shown that this "bombarding" is harmful. Why arbitrarily slow down the connection rate on a hunch?

Me ? I have to show it ? I thought you are responsible for development, testing and support issues... Just look around the forum. Don't you remember ? The ISPs bitching threads ? multiple other users having what you define as "crappy" equipment ? .. Give me a break please. My router is fine, thank you ... ;)

There's no point in optimizing if the problem is already fixed.

If you mean - fixing the payload related PPS (that, after 6 months, does look promising... :) ) - again, this is not the issue on this thread. I'm not aware of any change done in 2.03/x to improve the connection-related PPS (at least it's not in the changelogs)

The increased amount/PPS of small payload packets, small connection related packets and maybe uTP connect-scheme - has done much harm for the past 6 months (PTs, ISPs). Payload traffic/packets is hopefully improved now (and I hope overhead will also be reduced), What I'm saying is - try to improve 2.03 in respect to correction-logic/rate as well.

And there is always a point in optimizing Internet traffic if it's not actually needed.

Archived