Does OpenbitTorrent Work to turn uTorrent into a tracker

Possum

Hi

I successfully used uTorrent to create a tracker with openbitTorrent and uploaded a video to a friend..

I guess my setup is good.

Does this mean that if 1000's of people clicked my tracker link and I supported the file until there were enough active seeds that my file could then propergate even when my computer was off. Even if many 1000's of people wanted the file..

Does OpenBitTorrent have this sort of power?

Thank you...

I successfully used uTorrent to create a tracker with openbitTorrent and uploaded a video to a friend..

To create a TORRENT, not a tracker.

Does this mean that if 1000's of people clicked my tracker link and I supported the file until there were enough active seeds that my file could then propergate even when my computer was off. Even if many 1000's of people wanted the file..

Clicked your TORRENT link.

It's not openbittorrent that has that power, it's the bittorrent protocol. You can do that without any tracker at all.

Now I understand. openbittorrent is a tracker database that informs everyone that downloads my torrent how to get the file I am distributing.

So a combination of uTorrent and openbittorrent will enable me to distribute a large file to as many people who want that file..

For the torrent to totally "survive" after your turn your PC off, you'd really need a way of hosting the torrent, either torrage where the public could find it. But yes, if enough people use your torrent, and have DHT/Peer Exchange/Discovery enabled, each client will "pass along" each other's peer list(s), in affect keeping the torrent alive even while you (the original tracker) are offline.

All in the magic of bittorrent :)

vandan: You Mention Torrage. I host my Torrent on my own site. So I'm OK.. But thx for advice..

I believe if I want to use Torrage I would upload my torrent to Torrage and get a link back that is linked to my uploaded Torrent and be able to send that link to people.. If that is correct it is a great idea.

Thank you..

Archived