BitTorrent 4.6 causing Unexpected Shutdown (BSOD)!

Mortiferon

Since I started using BitTorrent earlier last week my Notebook has been suffering crippling "Unexpected Shutdown" BSOD episodes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my computer (it is only 5 months old and I treat it like a middle-aged man in a midlife crisis wiping down his hotrod with baby diapers), or the router or the internet or anything else, it is totally on the Torrent program and subsequent processes tied to it as the BSODs only occur with it open and active.

I have googled and googled and googled this problem until my fingers felt like they were wearing out to the nubs but I found NOTHING that solved my problem with this BSOD error (first time google has failed me).

I would really appreciate any and all help you can provide me.

Here's some crucial information that might help:

ISP: Verizon FiOS (fastest available)

Router: Actiontec MI424WR

Torrent Client: BitTorrent

Notebook: Acer AS5738PG-6306

Antivirus: MBAM, SpyBot S&D, MSE (none active or "live")

Firewall: Windows (not blocking or interfering with BitTorrent)

EDIT: BitTorrent version 6.4 - sorry for the typo!

Bug Check String: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Bug Check Code: 0x0000000a

Parameter 1: 00000000`00000000

Parameter 2: 00000000`00000002

Parameter 3: 00000000`00000000

Parameter 4: fffff800`031f5477

Caused By Driver: hal.dll

Caused by address: hal.dll+2477

Bug Check String: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Bug Check Code: 0x0000009f

Parameter 1: 00000000`00000003

Parameter 2: fffffa80`03d2ae30

Parameter 3: fffff800`00b9c4d8

Parameter 4: fffffa80`091ccbc0

Caused By Driver: ntoskrnl.exe

Caused By Address: ntoskrnl.exe+70600

Try these http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19142&ProdId=3062〈=eng

and these http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netlink.php (you'll have to know the model number of the ethernet, (note what it says under the vista section, 3 models that require xp drivers instead, otherwise use the vista 64 drivers)

I'll likely never know what the problem was because I had to perform a Factory Restore. I contracted the Ad.exe Trojan (not the cause of the BSOD episodes as it occurred after they started).

I have also installed UTorrent instead of BitTorrent so hopefully this problem never crops up again. However, if it does I'll come back and let you know. It could just be that Torrents don't like my router, or ISP or even x64 bit.

I did notice that the BSODs occurred only when I was seeding, not downloading so it could also just be that the bandwidth itself caused the problem as I do have very good internet and was uploading far more KB/s than I was able to Download, so that might have made the system freak out thinking it was under attack as it does say when it happens that it is going to shut down to "protect itself".

I'll go ahead and tweak with the Upload properties and see how that goes and with any luck it won't be an issue anymore.

Thank you all very much for your help, again I really appreciate it!

Acer has not released any new drivers from the 2009 editions, so they are the same as what I had before and are the same that Acer is offering now. I don't think that the drivers were the problem, but that BitTorrent was causing my system to believe it was freaking out somehow and so it made it think it had to shut down to "protect itself" from something, as it said every before it abruptly shut off.

My computer is working as flawless as ever now, so I really don't think I need to potentially screw that up by messing around with factory drivers not supported by Acer.

I haven't gotten a chance to test out UTorrent yet as I'm still recovering the system data off of the External HDD and optimizing. Be back if the same thing keeps happening when I do get around to it...

Archived