uTorrent kills and stops making connections

aformalevent

so i've been noticing an ongoing problem for the last 6 months or so where uTorrent will spontaneously drop all connections and refuse to make new ones. I originally noticed it when utorrent refused to connect to peers (although it displays a correct peer count) on a new torrent i was downloading. on further inspection no torrents were connecting for uploads or downloads and no traffic was ongoing. I've been able to, repeatedly, fix the problem by uninstalling and re-installing uTorrent while keeping the same settings and my resume.dat . I'm running the windows client and recently have stayed updated with the new releases, but this has happened over a series of uTorrent releases, beginning back with 1.8.x. I'm an avid torrent user with >2000 torrents seeding at a time. I've always loved uTorrent and had never had this problem until i would think 6 or 8 months ago, and it is intermittent but seems to happen more so when i add a bunch of new torrents to the queue (like 10 or more torrents). they'll get part way and then uTorrent just stops all bandwidth. a quick uninstall and re-install has fixed the problem every time, with any version of uTorrent. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or how i can avoid this? it's very irritating when this happens just as I leave my computer for a few days and I end up missing days of upload to the downtime.

thank you for any help you can provide. i'll be happy to give more information if I can.

I'm behind a dlink router and a cable modem. my internet other than uTorrent does not alter it operation when these problems occur. restarting them does not fix the problem.

I have avast anti-virus and spy-bot search and destroy running on my computer. avast is disabled for p2p monitoring.

it's a d-link wbr-130, hardware rev B1, firmware 2.0 and a motorola sb5102 modem.

• 1 month later...

argh... this is still happening, but now it seems uninstalling and re-installing isn't fixing the problem any more. i tried using the beta build and that didn't do it eaither but on the third install it worked for about a day and now it's back to no connections. this is really frustrating. i'm sorry but the links in your signature are of no help to me (yes i read through them). has anyone else had this problem?

okay this is really strange but i thought i'd report it anyways. after having no luck uninstalling and re-installing utorrent again, i remembered that the last time i got it to work was when i had just installed netlimiter v1.30. so i tried installing it again and, voila, utorrent connects to peers again when my computer re-starts after the install. i have no idea why this is happening, but i guess installing netlimiter isn't that bad of a solution (if it actually works repeatedly.) i'll update this thread again if it happens again, weather or not netlimiter fixes it. also strange is that netlimiter is incorrectly reading the downloading and uploading speeds from utorrent, saying i'm downloading at <1KB/s when utorrent is flying at long at 600KB/s. i am confused, but at least it's working for now.

• 3 weeks later...

"i'm sorry but the links in your signature are of no help to me (yes i read through them)"

Just reading them is not enough. The links are meant to help *US*! They list information that we NEED to be able to diagnose the problem...or at least determine what the problem is NOT.

We are "flying blind" without your information, and it's your computer that crashes if things go horribly wrong.

Archived