AT&T DSL Modem 2701HG-B Reconnect Cycle

ccoltmanm

I have a AT&T DSL Modem, 2701HG-B that is a modem/wireless router. For the most part, it gives good speed and a strong signal. However, I am running into a major problem.

I have several computers hooked up via Ethernet, and two computers hooked up via wifi. One is a desktop, one a laptop. I am running uTorrent on them, for patches such as Relic's Company of Heroes, http://cohpatch.relic.com/, which only provide torrent links (Smart in my opinion), as well as acquiring free animations to show to my classes for educational purposes (really, i am a computer animation professor).

Well, the laptop runs this great, no problem. But it sucks having to transfer big files over to the desktop when i need to, and sometimes I keep my laptop in my bag between classes. So, I use my desktop. The problem here is that every 2-3 minutes of downloading the modem disconnects and reconnects to the internet. This causes a disruption in uTorrent, any internet surfing i am doing, and is just an inconvenience and shouldn't be happening.

AT&T has been no help at all, and what I really think is happening is that the modem can't keep up with the transfer of packets and info that my desktop is sending. I don't know why this doesn't work with my laptop, maybe you guys have ideas.

I was able to pinpoint a possible cause, something called "excessive sessions." Since uTorrent works with a lot of users, the modem thinks there is a virus on my desktop asking for info and sending it very quickly. Some sort of a blaster virus. Well, I can't disable this detection, thus I can't stop the modem from constantly cycling in a reconnect.

When I have uTorrent turned off, I run into NO problems at all. Help me out, is there a setting I can use to allow the modem to give me all the sessions I want? I'm thinking of buying a better DSL modem and trying to make AT&T take this one back since it isn't working out for me. I've only had it a few days. Ideas?

Buy another router. and hook it up using DMZ to forward all connections to it. (I don't believe that model supports bridge-mode) then once your new router has an external IP, you should be able to connect everything to that one. I recommend a linksys/cisco router. Something in the same series as the 120N-300N. That's all I've used for the last few years and they've been absolutely perfect in situations like this. (I currently have a 2wire 3800hgb and a 160N, I wasn't losing complete internet connection, only DNS, but It should still help.) I also had a decent load on the device. Only 2 ethernet devices, and 3 wireless. Internet connection of 15d and 2u.

The last link in my signature may give a little more insight as well.

Sorry, should have specified, the 3800hgv is actually VDSL2 capable. Thus much higher limits than normal. I'm actually two steps down from the highest download I can get on this system still.

These are the max speeds as listed on the device.

Connection Speed:

• Incoming: 35000 kbps

• Outgoing: 2040 kbps

If you look it up though, you would find that VDSL2 is actually capable of 200mb in both directions when using certain profiles. (although this device would come no where close to actually supporting that)

It's absolute garbage at most tasks. the only thing I've noticed it handles better than my cisco is my tv traffic. I had the tv (broadband based HD service, up to 3 HD streams at a time) plugged in through my router and it brought it to its knees, (couldn't even open the router configuration panel). yet the 3800 isn't even phased by that kind of traffic.

Archived