Utorrent keeps slowing down...

Danni111111

Hi, I have been using utorrent for a very long time now,

but recently I have been getting a problem with my speed. I could get a speed over 500kb/s on some torrents.

However, I rarely see them go over 15kb/s now. My internet connection is the same- I still have the same download speed for everything else.

What perplexes me is that I checked my computer this morning to find the download speed at +300kb/s, but as a few minutes passed, it went back down to a very low level.

I tried having only 1 torrent active, but that made no difference to its speed.

Is it a problem with my own computer, or my internet connection (I am downloading using wifi on a laptop, and my connection with the router is fine (130Mb/s))

Thanks in advance.

P.S. While writing this I noticed one of my torrents skyrocket from 3kb/s to 150kb/s for a few minutes- then it went back to 3kb/s again. =/

I am also having this issue. The last time I used utorrent was a few days ago. Kept at it's usualy 350 kb/sec pace. Tried to torrent today (download) and it went up to 350 kb/sec, and then immediately dropped down to under 3 kb/sec. If I stop the torrent and start it up, this repeats itself. (I recently updated it.) I have no extra internet security, only windows firewall, and it has never been an issue, nor have I reset my modem lately or anything like that. Nothing has changed, yet my download hits over 300 kb/sec then drops to practically nothing. Has anybody besides myself and Danni been having this issue recently?

BT Central ADSL ISP in the UK (British Telecom) are known to throttle and disrupt BitTorrent traffic and are probably doing it more heavily now. Sometimes you may get a fast download speed for a little while...till the DPI equipment either throttles it down or breaks the connection.

Assuming they're not throttling/disrupting ALL unknown traffic, 3rd link in my signature might help.

...I'm not sure if embarq also throttles.

Just to rule out other possible causes, both of you probably should try 1st (slow speed section) and 2nd links in my signature. Overloading one's upload bandwidth max can cause download speed die-offs.

I found out what worked for me (although it doesn't make much sense). All I had to do was increase my max upload (YES upload) limit, and my download went to normal. I don't have the best connection so I usually limit the upload speed while I'm downloading, and I've never had this problem before. The second I removed the upload limit it went back to normal. Weird.

Archived