[2.2] uTorrent 2.2 running in background, but no GUI

GD

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@moogly:

Looking into settings.dat with a hex editor I see such items as "download_hist", "add_dialog_hist", "dir_completed_torrents_flagxxxx:dir_last", "tracker_last" which contain paths to torrent sub-directories and a password hash key.

No way I will send anyone that file!:lol:

EDIT1:

I'm giving up, I have to revert to 2.0 for now. Once again I started with a clean profile and I exited µTorrent normally myself. After a reboot the GUI won't show up. So that it's not true that this is triggered when Windows exits µTorrent at shutdown.

I hope I still have an older version of utorrent.exe lying around on my HDDs.

EDIT2:

I now tried the 2.2.1.23984 beta: no GUI

Then I tried the 3.0.0.24023 alpha: the GUI bug seems to be gone. Well, unless the settings.dat file was just partially scraped, then it might very well show up again.... for example the Apps pane is visible again, and I know I removed it in 2.2. Chances are that the malignant config setting was just removed during the first start of 3.0, yet the actual bug is still in the program.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to use version 3.0 on one private tracker I'm a member of. Also I didn't find any 2.0.x version on my HDD, so I'll have to download it from somewhere. :(

Next time I'll keep old versions and rename them from utorrent.exe and not overwrite them as it is obviously intended by µTorrent devs by choosing that filename. ;)

EDIT3:

µTorrent 3.0's main window still shows up after rebooting Windows. Looks promising.

So, basically, that problem can't be fixed unless we send you those files ?

I'm running the version available on the homepage.

My problem, like many people here, is that when I launch µtorrent, it won't appear in the task bar, the window and the tray icon won't show up. But µtorrent is running normally, I can see it in the task manager.

I do think that this problem came with the last version of µtorrent.

• 2 weeks later...
i too experience same problem.. its common for all users of 2.2.xxxxx using xp, vista and 7 and many threads in this forum speak of the same problem,. so admins better to fix it in next release ..

Try the latest 2.2.1, there is an attempt to fix that: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=88772

-- 2011-01-19: Version 2.2.1 beta (build 24217)
- Fix: attempt at fixing disappearing systray icon

-- 2011-01-19: Version 2.2.1 beta (build 24217)
- Fix: attempt at fixing disappearing systray icon

In case you haven't noticed it. That's another bug. We have been talking about something else the whole time:

µTorrent is running without a window. Without the use of a process viewer you wouldn't even know it was running in the background.

Other thread starters might call their threads "µTorrent is not starting anymore." while in fact they are experiencing the same problem where it is running fully functional, but no main window is ever created, looking to a computer newbie as if it is not starting up.

• 2 weeks later...

Running build 24512 here, still the same (XP Home, SP3, Nvidia).

Having a special diashow as screensaver (JoJoSaver) after 1 minute, monitor switch off is set to 15 minutes.

I always have to reactivate with the boss-key password which I have to press twice to bring the "Password:" box ...

Try the new 2.2.1, 24512.

Just tried build 24512. No main window.

Then I tried build 24567, same thing. No main window while µTorrent is running happily in the background.

We believe we've fully resolved the problem with the disappearing tray icon.

I have to repeat myself once more. It is the main window that disappears. It has probably something to do with those new useless (to me) apps. :cool:

Luckily I found a download source for the last working µTorrent version 2.0.4 I can remember and installed it. Starts up with main window instantly. And I didn't even remove the 2.2.x settings! :D Yay!

Now I will run 2.0.4 until 3.x becomes one of the allowed clients at my private tracker. Unless you manage to add that bug to 3.x, too. :rolleyes:

Makes sense. Now I can finally reproduce the bug at will.

And I confirm that build 24512 did not fix this bug.

If it helps, when disabling "Always show tray icon" the bug does occur when exiting µTorrent when minimized to the notification area. But when the tray icon is always visible exiting µTorrent that way is ok. Tested with build 24567.

PS:

its ok im running win 7 to and sometimes you carnt find it but its still running in prosseces to fox it just go to apps skins utorrent 2.0.4 and done :) :) :):D :D :D
http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=554928#p554928

So the µTorrent 2.0.4 skin app fixes this bug? Is this reproducable? I don't want to change versions right now again...

May the culprit not be in the actual code but in the gfx resources? :o If yes, it's probably a Windows 7 bug when some graphic image is choking up the creation of the notification area icon.

Well, the best workaround for me now is to keep "Always show tray icon" enabled. I wonder if that helps you guys, too? Or whether you have disabled this setting, also?

I usually have this kind of setting disabled if a program supports it, so that when the program's taskbar button is shown (unminimized window), a little bit of space from the notification area is added to the taskbar. I have so many icons in the notification area that every little bit of space saving counts when my taskbar is getting full also.

I figure that not many people like to use (or even know about) this combination, maybe that's why not so many noticed this bug. Effectively I would call it "fully minimize to the notification area" using this part of the taskbar as a full substitute for the taskbar buttons.

Anyway, I think the devs should check out the hint from bearcatk, that it might have something to do with the skin, i.e. the icon graphic that is passed on to Windows. Be it 7 or XP. Maybe the resolution is one pixel off, or the color bit depth, or maybe it was simply saved in an unsupported way, for example it may contain meta data that confuses the windows library responsible for drawing it. Maybe when starting a program with the notification area icon first a different function is handling the icon than the one which is handling the icon when a main program window is creating such an icon later, or maybe it's the same function but it's called by the system API with different parameters... or maybe the cause is something completely different and has nothing to do with the new graphics.

• 2 weeks later...

uTorrent 2.2.1 Beta 24649 is the exact version.. and the changelog reads as :

- Change: use 11 asterixes instead of 6 for hashed passwords in settings dialog (in the hope to reduce confusion)

- Fix: systray icon not showing up when starting up minimized, and systray icon is not always on

- Fix: don't delete files when 'download to' and 'move to' directories are the same

- Feature: Support apps bundled with torrent file and install when source column clicked

Think this is the same issue I'm having. Latest build of uTorrent and Windows XP.

Utorrent starts up just fine, but randomly, the systray icon vanishes. I can only see it is running by using taskmanager, or by clicking on the desktop shortcut, which opens up the GUI again.

I have noticed one thing though which I think might tie in with it. My desktop icon changed to the new round icon with the latest version. BUT, since the systray icon started vanishing, the desktop icon has changed itself back to the old square one, and reinstalling utorrent doesn't fix it.

The two things might be related somehow? No idea how, but as others have said, having no visible means of seeing the program running without faffing about is a bit of a pain.

I got this trouble too.

Windows XP, Options "Start uT on system startup", "Always show tray icon".

The systray icon disappears every time on system startup. The only way to make it visible again is to disable "Always show tray icon" (apply it), and the again check "Always show tray icon" and apply it.

Just fot a month or two before now everything was ok.

I've tried 2.2.1.24763 (autoupdate version 2.2.1.24649) but the bug is there for now. Actually, I've returned to 2.2.1.24649 because of some crash dumps.

So, I'm looking forward for a solution.

Archived