.torrent files won't associate with uTorrent

th3g4rg0yl3

• 4 weeks later...

Beasly also worked for me but when saving the txt file you may need to allow to change the file type.

open control pannel then find "Folder Options" click "view" box and in the list find the box "Hide extentions for known file types" un check and then cheang the the txtfile type from filename.txt to filename.reg.

BTW once done dont forget to recheck the box as this will cause problems when renaming files unless you are puter savy......

• 10 months later...
every possible solution described in this thread. "Open with..." doesnt have utorrent in its list.

And did you click on the [browse ...] button to ADD uTorrent to that list?

When i click browse and i locate C:\Users\Don\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\μTorrent.exe it just does nothing

You navigate to the path I posted THEN select utorrent.exe

Read the instructions earlier in this thread on how to display file extensions rather than just the "friendly" name, and do not select anything that says utorrent.exe.lnk

nagivated to C:\Users\Don\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\utorrent.exe , selected the .exe to open .torrent files but stil it doesnt do anything after selecting it :/ :/

selected the .exe to open .torrent files

Got to ask this question, .... seeing as you are not providing any useful feedback.

Did you then follow the rest of the required steps??

ie: Ticking the check box, then using the [Ok] buttons to close all the dialogues?

Are .torrent files now displaying a uTorrent logo (always assuming that your explorer view setting show icons)?

selected the .exe to open .torrent files

Got to ask this question' date=' .... seeing as you are not providing any useful feedback.

Did you then follow the rest of the required steps??

ie: Ticking the check box, then using the [Ok'] buttons to close all the dialogues?

Are .torrent files now displaying a uTorrent logo (always assuming that your explorer view setting show icons)?

Yes of course , the checkbox is selected , then i navigate to C:\Users\Don\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent , selecting the .exe , then im clicking open and nothing happens.

then i navigate to C:\Users\Don\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent , selecting the .exe , then im clicking open and nothing happens.

Does the uTorrent icon appear in the list pane?

So you can then complete the process by selecting uTorrent from the pane of icons, click on [ OK ] etc. etc.

• 4 months later...

I HAD THE EXACT PROBLEM as the OP. I tried everything mentioned here and nothing worked. I have NOW FIXED THE PROBLEM.

I'm a layman by the way...

- close utorrent all the way

- Just do a search for utorrent.exe

- right click on the file and open the file location

- move back a folder, CUT the 'utorrent' folder

- and PASTE the folder in your C:\Program Files... NOT C:\Program Files (x86)

- open utorrent and minimize

- go to a torrent file, right click, open with etc, the bloody program is right there staring at me mwwahahahaaaaaaaaa :D :D

- every torrent file now has the utorrent green logo

Now when I go to ANY torrent site, the link for the torrent file just works from there straight into utorrent. EVERYTHING is back to normal.

a former post goes... C:\Users\Don\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent see this was the same as me, it bloody automatically installs it here, in 'roaming'. Cut the devil utorrent folder, put in C:\Program Files.

- Now, I did try this AFTER to tried both regedit fixes, so I'm not sure if that had any bearing on the outcome of cutting and pasting the utorrent folder into the C:\Program Files or not, but who cares it bloody works.

- I've never ever posted on any forums like this ever, but I've learned countless things over the years. I just thought if I can help someone who was as lost as me, I hope they have been helped.

Archived