uTorrent doesn't close on Exit, can't download after restart

chibicitiberiu

If I exit uTorrent, it doesn't actually close... it still runs in the background. I can't kill it in the task manager, it doesn't let me.

After I reopen uTorrent, all the torrents that were downloading don't work any more, it says that the file is used by another process. The only solution I found (so far) is reboot.

Also, could the "Invalid download state" error at startup be fixed, by automatically resuming, or another way?

I'm using the currently latest version of uTorrent 3.0.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue here (uTorrent 3.0 32-bit, release version).

If I close the main window, I can see uTorrent.exe still running in the task manager. I am able to manually kill it, but if I try to run uTorrent again without killing it, it just stalls and eventually gives me a message that uTorrent is already running but not responding.

This doesn't always happen. I'd say, 75% of the time that I close uTorrent, it stays running.

I can confirm this bug. Sometimes utorrent doesn't properly close and the utorrent process keeps running. However torrents keep working and I can simply kill the process. I didn't have the problem in the 2.* version of utorrent.

I think the problem only occurs if I remove a torrent and then rapidly close utorrent afterwards. But i'm not 100% sure. edit: doesn't seem to be the case

Windows 7 32-bit (up to date)

utorrent 3.0 build 25422 32-bit

AVG 2011

Windows XP 32-bit (up to date)

utorrent 3.0 build 25406 32-bit

Windows Security Essentials

I removed a download that was seeding. I choose File -> Exit. The icon is no longer displayed in the system tray. uTorrent.exe still shows in the Task Manager. If I try to restart uTorrent, nothing happens. If I kill uTorrent.exe in Task Manager, the application then reappears. This problem was not happening when I was using uTorrent2.x.

I can confirm this as well. Happens with both the 32-bit uTorrent 3.0 as well as the 64-bit Experimental build. Sometimes uTorrent exists just fine, other times, the uTorrent.exe process stays in the background, forcing me to kill it manually.

* Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Windows Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

uTorrent 3.0 (build 25422) [32-bit]

avast! Free Antivirus 6.0.1203

Windows Firewall

I can confirm that with the above configuration when I close uTorrent (File --> Exit) after deleted a torrent the process does not terminate from memory. If I then start uTorrent it will eventually crash. If I close uTorrent with no torrents recently active this does not happen.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Start -> Run -> regedit

Go down the tree to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Make sure there is only one uTorrent entry -> Close regedit -> reboot

or if you don't want to get your hands dirty in regedit use:

Start -> Run -> msconfig -> Startup tab uncheck any extra entries for uTorrent -> [Apply] -> [OK] -> Reboot .......... -> Uncheck the box on the startup dialogue -> Click [OK]

This is not a solution.
Please try to remember that I am purely making an informed guess based on what I have observed on my own system and the information you provided, I have no access to your system, therefore cannot actually know what is happening.

You need to look at each of the processes to determine how they have been instantiated, use "process explorer to see what spawned the instances and the context they are running in.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem in Windows 8 with uTorrent 3.2.3** (build 28705 /32 bit). (I am not using any AV)

When I close uTorrent sometimes uTorrent.exe keeps running in the background, even it gets stacked up to 3-4 instances.

When I try to kill those instances on command line (in run as admin mode) with taskkill (with force), it says that "no running instance of uTorrent.exe is found", therefore I am unable to kill them.

Unlike Windows 7, simple reboot is not a solution, since Windows 8's reboot is a different way of hibernate/wake up. Even if you reboot, those instances are not killed.

The only way to kill these instances is, after reboot I have to start another operating system (Ubuntu in my case) after that switch back to Windows 8. After doing this, Windows 8 makes a clean reboot which kills every instance of stacked up uTorrent.exe, but this is not something you would prefer. It's both waste of time and a ridiculous solution.

If you have any solution to that problem any help is appreciated.

**Version corrected.

Archived