Slow speed and killing my bandwidth

eblue

Hey,

I have a problem with utorrent it seems what ever speed I'm downloading my bandwidth is flooded. I cant enter sites, cant use Team Speak, nothing that is internet related until I close utorrent. I cant get a download higher then 1.9 MB/s actuali it is fluctuating between 0.9MB/s and 1.9MB/s. My internet should work with a download speed of 40Mb/s (5MB) and an uploadspeed of 10 Mb/s (1.25MB/s). If i leave 1 torrent active it goes up to 1.8MB/s , if i start more the speed spreads out between the torrents but it wont go above 1.9MB/s. Its like it is limited but i didn't limit it and it is set to unlimited. When I check my internet speed on a speed test site it goes to the speed that it should (5MB). But the weird part is that I had a problem like this before and I thought that utorrent 3 had a minor bug so I went back to version 2 and that fixed it back then but now I reinstated windows and now I'm having the problem with version 2 and installed 3 and the problem still persists. Have no firewall (not even windows firewall ) I tried setting net.max_halfopen to 8 or 4 it doesn't seems to make a difference. Ran Setup guide still the same . I'm running out of ideas can someone give me some pointers?

I apologize if someone had this kind of problem and I didn't noticed but I searched on Google and tried what ever I found.

1.8 Mb/s is really really fast (that is about 1800Kbs) ! You should wanting speeds more around 600-900 Kb/s so your internet pipe is not sucked dry.

To manually slow down your max torrent download speed go to Options / Preferences / Bandwidth and change Max Download Rate from 0 (unlimited) to something like 800Kb/s. You can choose lower as well if your general internet speed does not come back for all your other applications.

I don't want to slow it down ... that is the whole point... it should go even faster .. I have a 100Mbit/s internet connection. but my router can't handle more then 50Mbit/s. It should go up to 24Mbit/s at least.( i know this because it was going with 24Mbits or 3MB if you want it in MBytes, before i re installed windows) But the speed wouldn't bother me, if it only downloads with 1.9MByte. The problem is that i cant load a website if utorrent is started. And i dont know what is causing this conflict.

I know I will probably get bashed for saying this, but upload speeds directly effect your download speeds. So if you are seeding a lot (a good thing) and your upload is set to unlimited, within a few minutes your uploading at max speed. This will cripple your download speeds as acknowledge packets are not able to get back as quickly. I would try to limit your upload speeds, test it out. If this solves the problem, slowly move the upload speeds back up. Also there is an option in utorrent, under bandwidth, that says something like "Alternate speeds while not downloading". This will limit your upload speeds while you are downloading so you will not "choke" your ownself out. Then, once downloads complete, uploads are back to running at high speeds, so you can keep your ratio up, or do the right thing in general and share.

My upload is usually not that high its around 500kb/s witch should leave enough space for download and upload for websites...

The idea is that this I haven't had this problem before ... it worked fine .. so it should't be a setting problem I'm guessing it should be a conflict problem .. some other part of a program maybe windows is bugging it somehow.

I know that all programmers love these kind of problems where the problem doesn't seem to have a distinct patter.. it only appears sometimes :)

Btw i tried your tip hextex. didn't help

i havent changed anything .. everything is set as basic settings .

And as i said in the first post every time when i start multiple downloads my download speed is around 2MB which would be ok if that would be the max speed which is not . So the idea is that i download at 2 MB /s and when i run only 1 of the downloads it still downloads with 2 MB/s so there are good seeders there

Archived