several things bugging

kvsl

1. uTorrent has been hanging recently a lot. It used not to have this kind of problems at all before. I Wait for a minute or two, then it usually goes away.

2. It gives me the "there's update available" message and when I click it and update the software, it's not updated. It's always the 3.12 again. I manually downloaded the software, installed it over the current one; same thing. Not updated.

3. Clicking "Take our feedback survey" in the top bar does nothing. No survey opening. I find this actually quite ironic.

4. What is the "moving files" after torrent has finished downloading? Can I do something for it not to happen? Why is it moving the files and where is it moving them?

Please do not produce any more updates! uTorrent used to be very good and functional piece of software, now it seems to be worse and worse after every new update.

2. It gives me the "there's update available" message and when I click it and update the software, it's not updated. It's always the 3.12 again. I manually downloaded the software, installed it over the current one; same thing. Not updated.
Have you been paying attention to the build numbers?
3. Clicking "Take our feedback survey" in the top bar does nothing. No survey opening. I find this actually quite ironic.
That's actually a case of windows' default browser settings being wrong.

kysl - If they do not produce anymore updates than your issues will never be fixed.

Files are Moved because you have checked (under Preferences -> Directorys) "Move completed downloads to:" checked. I have checked "Only move fro the default download directory", otherwise it may (I have not tested it) move all downloads regardless of where you initially stored them.

If you do not want to continuely deal with updates - (after all they are trying to release bug fixes) - turn off/uncheck "Check for updates automatically" in Preferences -> General. Check for them manually once a week, once a month, or once a year - what ever makes you happy.

Thank you DreadWingKnight and jbebad for quick replies. I understand they want to fix things. But it's same thing with a couple of other applications I use. At some point developers begin to release updates very often and then it seems the quality starts deteriorating. Mozilla Thunderbird is another example. I used it happily for years, but not anymore. It has too many features that are not really needed and there are more waiting times when deleting messages and stuff like that. The original idea of a simple, working application seems to have been vanished. There is a connection between the amount of problems and fast update rate, to me anyway.

Ccleaner and Adobe Reader are some other applications that I use, that seem to publish a new version very often. I'm just wondering is it really needed?

I understand they are not your applications and their developing is not up to uTorrent staff, but I'm just here drawing the bigger picture and getting the impression that many of the updates generally don't have such a big difference to users, but may cause actual problems. For a reason that is unknown to me, developers seem to want new versions out as often as possible. Or maybe it's the marketing folks? I suggest less updates and more quality control to everybody.

I may sound pissed off, and partly I am, but I don't want you to get offended, because that is not my intention. I just want to express myself honestly. I get frustrated when perfectly good applications begin to get worse.

About the aforementioned bugs:

I checked the build numbers and now that I updated the client once more, it seems to be up to date. Previously I updated three times in one or two days and it seemed not to do anything. Thanks for pointing that out. It might be good to show the build number beside the version number in the top bar. Otherwise it's hard to know what is going on.

I don't know what could be wrong with the default browser setting, as everything else in Windows works fine with it. Chrome is set as my default browser and I don't know if there is anything else that can be done about it? Is there a way to take the survey without the link in uTorrent? It probably is somewhere in the net anyway?

Hanging is the biggest thing that's making me hard to use uTorrent. It happens when I click "stop", for example. Or if I try to resize window or move it from one screen to another. But not always. Yesterday I spent maybe an hour just to wait it to come back from the "sleep". It's hard to know if it's completely jammed and needs forced shutdown, or if it's just temporary and will come back to life. Both happen.

But maybe it has been fixed in the version I just got? Because there's no freezes today so far. Had to wait and see.

I've always had separate folders for unfinished and finished torrents. No settings changed for a long time. The files have always been moved from a folder to another when download is finished. But the folders are in the same drive. It should be just a matter of renaming files, not completely rewritten to another location. Only just recently it had been taking long time to move them. I don't understand that at all.

Thank you DreadWingKnight and jbebad for quick replies. I understand they want to fix things. But it's same thing with a couple of other applications I use. At some point developers begin to release updates very often and then it seems the quality starts deteriorating. Mozilla Thunderbird is another example. I used it happily for years, but not anymore. It has too many features that are not really needed and there are more waiting times when deleting messages and stuff like that. The original idea of a simple, working application seems to have been vanished. There is a connection between the amount of problems and fast update rate, to me anyway.

While I definitely agree that the past couple updates of 3.1.2 have caused me a bit of frustration, I have to say that although I don't use every single feature, or need to adjust every single option, I've always liked that utorrent lets me and gives me options. I'm in love with many recent features, from rss support to web UI, and being able to stream videos with vlc as i download them. I love this software, and therefore all the people who have put time into developing such awesome and FREE software, which I have used, relied on, and recommended for years. That said, I'm currently not running the latest release, but I surely will update again at some point, because it generally keeps getting better. We're just experiencing one of those hiccups that are bound to happen when you try to offer so much. I guess the whole point of my off topic rant here was if you hate the new version, you can look around for an older one, but don't hate a little imperfection, appreciate all the joy utorrent has brought you =)

Freezing seems to happen still quite frequently. Today alone I have had to force shutdown the client a few times. After restart, the unfinished torrent starts checking itself and as the checked file is quite large, it takes time. Is there anything I could do for freezing not to happen? Is it more of a uTorrent or a Windows 7 related problem?

I would also be happy if somebody replied something about the huge transfer time from unfinished folder to finished. I cannot understand why the behaviour has changed and why it takes so much time.

To notapirate: I too like options. There's nothing wrong with those in general. But if more options cause more updates, and more updates cause more hangups, I would prefer less options.

I've been a happy user of uTorrent for quite many years. I'm not quite sure how many... several anyway. This is the first time that I have to actually complain about something. I created the user account for this forum just to post these messages about the things that suddenly have appeared to bug me. Wouldn't have done it without a reason.

Btw, there was a new version out maybe a couple of days ago, and I noticed there was a build number showing there somewhere during installation. Great!

What sort of freezing were you getting?

It usually happens when I click Stop or Start (to download) torrent. It may come back alive after a while of waiting; say 5, 10, 15 minutes or so. Quite often I have to force shut the whole process down.

Archived