HELP-novice here

kenny6

I am very new and just discovered downloading. I really want to make sure that I am not a leecher, which I understand means you take but don't give equivalent amounts of feeds. I would like to make sure that my ratio is better than acceptable but good or very good. If I continue to allow seeding to go on indefinitely, will that make my ratio acceptable/good? I have no idea what my settings should be in queueing. Are these ok or should I change them: Are there any other settings I need to look at?.

Max number of active torrents 10

Max number of active downloads 10

Seeding goal (default values) Minimum ratio 2

Minimum seeding time 10

Minimum number available seeds 10

Seeding tasks have higher priority than downloading tasks-box unchecked

When Utorrent reaches seeding goal limit upload rate-box unchecked

I know all of these questions will seem very dumb but I am really new and don't understand all of the terminology yet, but I hope to get there. My main concern is that I am a responsible torrent user and do the right thing by everyone. I have no problem with continual seeding but I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. Any other tips on proper torrent behavior would be really appreciated. I am very much a novice, so the simpler the better for me.

Mine are both set at 1000 each. Ya, I download a lot. LOL.

Plus you want to go under Bit Torrent and deal with your Protocol Encryption and change it to FORCED and uncheck "allow incoming legacy connections". Some say change it to ENABLE and CHECK the box but this is what I do and it works just fine for me. Hope this helps.

I try to keep a ratio of uploading around 1.1 percent of what I download as I read somewhere that uploadiing to high a percentage makes it harder for someone else reach their ratio uploading, on some sites this doesn't matter to much, but on other sites they will cut you off if you don't hit it. You will find it isn't always possible to upload the full ratio, especially if you download something really old as it could be you are the only one downloading it and therefore you've no one to upload to.

CC So I have changed it to forced and unchecked the box. Thanks for the info

Mac how do I tell if upload is 1,1 % of download? What does the share ratio %mean below peers at the bottom and where do I check what my share ratio is. I also need to know if the queueing settings in my first post are ok or do i need to change them Thanks guys

In preferences drop down box click on queueing, you will see minimum ratio, the default % setting is 100, you can set this to 110 which is the equivalent of 1.1, in the bottom section there is a box under "When utorrent reaches the seeding goal", 0 will stop it, I tend to put in 4 so it uploads slightly. If you click on the help button in utorrent, in the drop down box there is one called "statistics", clicking this will bring up a box that will tell you how much you have downloaded, uploaded and your total ratio. It will also tell you how much you have transferred in the last 31 days, this is useful to keep on the right side of your internet provider as many of them tend to cut the speed of heavy users and most of them have limits of some sort.

Mine are both set at 1000 each. Ya, I download a lot. LOL.

Plus you want to go under Bit Torrent and deal with your Protocol Encryption and change it to FORCED and uncheck "allow incoming legacy connections". Some say change it to ENABLE and CHECK the box but this is what I do and it works just fine for me. Hope this helps.

So you have a gigabit connection? Otherwise i's WAY too high. Like 'complete moron high'

Second, you don't seem to understand what the encryption does. It's a header thing, It's design to foil basic traffic shaping by ISP's, nothing more. by by forcing it, and not accepting incomming connections without it, the only thing you're doing is cutting down on the peers you can connect to. You should only force it (as you are) if you're on an ISP that does packet-header-based traffic shaping. Otherwise, enabled and accept incoming are better.

Please, CCRichter, don't give advice on topics you are not sure of.It just causes more problems.

Thank you very much Ktech for your help. As I said I am very new. I followed what Mac said and did that .I also changed forced to enable and checked the box next to it. I am trying to struggle through this so you might tell me if I have done the right thing with my settings. I do notice my share ratio is creeping up in Statistics which I am glad about;This is what I have now:

Maximum number of active downloads/uploads 50

Maximum number of active downloads 20

Seeding goal (default value) minimum ratio % 120

Minimum seeding time 30 minutes

Minimum number of available seeds 10

Seeding tasks have higher priority box checked

When utorrent reaches seeding goal limit upload rate box checked and set at 5

Thanks you very much for the response

Kenny

Thank you very much Ktech for your help. As I said I am very new. I followed what Mac said and did that .I also changed forced to enable and checked the box next to it. I am trying to struggle through this so you might tell me if I have done the right thing with my settings. I do notice my share ratio is creeping up in Statistics which I am glad about;This is what I have now:

Maximum number of active downloads/uploads 50

Maximum number of active downloads 20

Seeding goal (default value) minimum ratio % 120

Minimum seeding time 30 minutes

Minimum number of available seeds 10

When utorrent reaches seeding goal limit upload rate box checked and set at 5

Thanks you very much for the response

Kenny

What's your upload speed?

the first two settings depend on your upload setting.

Find out your upload setting and then set it according to this table

http://www.ktetch.co.uk/2009/12/recommended-bittorrenttorrent-settings.html

I just did a cnet test and it said ping 75 Download is 6.91 mps and upload is 0.31 mbps neither of which i understand.

so from your chart what should my settings be. Thanks very much

Kenny

Your upload is thus 300Kbit/sec, or about 30k/sec,

The easiest thing to do, is to open utorrent, press ctrl+g to open up the setup guide, and in the upload speed box, pick 256kbit/s

I have read all I can from forums and protocols

So I have come to:

Upload speed Set to 278.5KB/s

Max no of available torrents 4

Max no D/L 2

Seeding goal % 110

min seeding time 0

Min seeds 2

When torrent reaches seeding goal limit u/p rate box unchecked

IN SETUP GUIDE

Max act. torrents 4

Connections global 200

Max active download 2

upload speed 278.5 kb/s

upload limit 34kb/s

Connections per torrent 70

Unfortunately I am in far northern Australia so there is no local support. Is anyone able to let me know if this configuration is ok?

thank

Archived