Reestablish connection!

NOP

My DSL flat rate provider cuts the connection every 24 hours, but utorrent doesn't reestablish it, if it is the only Internet related program running (Firefox and Thunderbird closed). What can I do to let UT "dial in" again automatically?

My DSL flat rate provider cuts the connection every 24 hours, but utorrent doesn't reestablish it, if it is the only Internet related program running (Firefox and Thunderbird closed). What can I do to let UT "dial in" again automatically?

Yeh. It does reestablish connections. but 24 hours? Thats mean.. lol..

Not really. In the meantime I found out that my PC rebooted for whatever reason, so I had the impression that the connection was cut by the provider. (which they really do after 24hrs, but of course you can reconnect instantly, and get another IP address, which is the reason behind it) But UT doesn't initiate the connection after the reboot, although it is started automatically.

Edit: I just made a test: Put UT out of Autostart, rebooted my PC. After everything has finished loading, I started UT. It shows all the torrents, how much done etc - but doesn't connect. Then I start Firefox, after FF has connected successfully, UT starts its torrents, the number of connected peers and seeders climbing slowly.

Ok, I can FF let autostart, too, but why can't UT connect, when it is started?

I think Firon is right - your computer/modem should automatically reconnect even if the ISP kicks you off. However, you probably just don't have it configured correctly. It's not µT's fault.

BTW, what ISP is that and in which country do you live? Cutting off the connection after 24h is really stupid.

get a router that would keep connection and reestablish it automatically upon ISP rebooting their end, they are fairly cheap nowadays, it seems from what you say is that you need Firefox to make demand on the PPPoE software to dial in and connect and that uT doesn't create that demand on it (probably it is not recognized by pppoe software as internet app, it might not send proper/recognized connecting triggers to it), as said, just put Fx shortcut in your run at startup folder but the router is better solution, gets you rid of the PPPoE software $%^

vanDivX

splintax, wlecom in europa (germany)!

here it is the "default" setting for residential ADSL lines. the 24h break is used by the telco as an argument to be able to sell much more expencive static IP lines!

For this default residential DSL line with unlimited Traffic DL/UL uyou pay around 5 euro for traffic and 15-25 euro for the DSL line depending on linespeed 1000/2000/6000 but then u have this dynamic IP that changes ever 24h.

In contrast the ex statetelco charges u around 150 to 300 Euros per month for a static IP DSL line without unlimited traffic!

1 EUR = 1,2266 USD

1 EUR = 1,6639 AUD

by yahoo

I just made a test: Put UT out of Autostart, rebooted my PC. After everything has finished loading, I started UT. It shows all the torrents, how much done etc - but doesn't connect. Then I start Firefox, after FF has connected successfully, UT starts its torrents, the number of connected peers and seeders climbing slowly.

Ok, I can FF let autostart, too, but why can't UT connect, when it is started?

I don't know very well how PPPoE works, but maybe there's some kind of access list that allows Firefox to establish a connection, but doesn't recognize utorrent.exe?

Firon, I don't think "Windows" will establish a connection after a reboot, only some programs do, and some don't... but as my test proved, UT does not, it requires an already active connection - or a hardware to reconnect, vandivx, you're right. But when I read about all the problems people have with their router and torrent traffic, I'm not sure if I will get one for my single user PC...

Ultima, I have a software firewall running, but of course UT is allowed to have access to the Internet, else it would never work.

UTgast is probably right, technically no problem to implement it but it would cost some more KB... Keep it as slim as it is!

Archived