uTorrent prefers other uTorrent-users?

rebwbtmd6QA

Does uTorrent prefer other uTorrent-Clients? This was something very bad in version 2.0 I think. Some Trackers blocked uTorrent. Has the problem been fixed or does uTorrent does this thing in the latest version too? I am asking, because I get many errors at Trackers:

IASr7l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IASr7.png

I get very low download speed. Maybe they block me?

uTorrent 3.1.3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

ca. 12.500 kbit/s download

PS: Sorry if I made mistakes. I am new to this Forum and from Germany with not so good English.

Are too many trackers not good?

They are not because:

1> Many of the trackers aren't actually tracking the torrent you're trying to use on them, making them useless

2> Having a lot of trackers means that you're wasting a LOT of bandwidth and connection attempts that would otherwise be used on peers trying to communicate with the trackers

3> You have duplication in your tracker list, causing you to do a DoS attack against the tracker

4> A lot of the trackers on your list have probably closed, again wasting resources.

They are not because:

1> Many of the trackers aren’t actually tracking the torrent you’re trying to use on them, making them useless

2> Having a lot of trackers means that you’re wasting a LOT of bandwidth and connection attempts that would otherwise be used on peers trying to communicate with the trackers

3> You have duplication in your tracker list, causing you to do a DoS attack against the tracker

4> A lot of the trackers on your list have probably closed, again wasting resources.

Oh, I didn't know that the tracker-connections are included in the other connections. So when I have a maximum of 100 connections per torrent and i add 100 trackers the torrent would not be downloaded? oh my good.

Thank You very much for Your help.

They are not because:

1> Many of the trackers aren't actually tracking the torrent you're trying to use on them, making them useless

2> Having a lot of trackers means that you're wasting a LOT of bandwidth and connection attempts that would otherwise be used on peers trying to communicate with the trackers

And to finish off the list, with the coup de grace. (although it's a combination of the previous points it, like voltron, makes something greater

5> Any peer thats on tracker 3, is going to be on tracker 2. Any peer on 2 will be on 1. HOWEVER since not all clients handle multiple trackers (or do so in the same way as utorrent, or people like me delete all but the first tracker) many of the peers on 1 are not going to be on 2, 3 or 42. So all you get with multiple trackers is a subset of what you've already got. Meanwhile, the added load from all these needless tracker comms. pushes up the TCP connections the tracker has to handle, and makes it more likely to go offline.

If you want to try and find more peers, turn on DHT.

The bare minimum needed to make torrents work is DHT OR a tracker. To make it be reliable, 1 tracker and DHT together (to avoid mainline/vuze swarm separation and for the DHT-less clients), and . Nothing More

There is no basis for the conclusion that just because a seeder/leecher is on one tracker then they are on all trackers that are monitoring a torrent. If that was the case:

1. There would be a single general tracker which everyone would use - no need for other trackers.

2. There would be no need for PEX messaging to idenify Seeders/Leechers that are not in the Tracker(s) list.

3. The creator of a a torrent may upload the torrent to one or more trackers - NOT all trackers that are actively tracking torrents. Trackers not part of the initial upload list will identify new torrents to add to their own list. Specific users may like to use only a specific set of trackers (perhaps a private tracker that identify some torrents that were NOT uploaded to their site directly, but torrents the private tracker was able to scrape from other public trackers).

4. Specific trackers may drop a torrent from its list simply because they were notified that having that specific torrent on their site would violate copyright laws. So you may be forced to use other trackers - assuming you still wanted to download that specific torrent.

5. Although messages to trackers uses more resources than normal P2P, it uses an open, req. message, reply message, close with a timer that will delay subsequent requests for stats or the result of an error message.

6. Some torrents are marked private and are not authorized for DHT.

7. Saying a Seeder/Leecher is on one tracker then they are on the other tracker is not true. If that was the case then all trackers would report the same (or very close to the same because of disconnects) number of seeders/leechers. Some report they have seeders and leechers, just seeders or they only have leechers.

8. The numer of Seeders/Leechers that are reported by trackers does not indicate the numbers that would result in a DoS. Most torrents have a very low Seeder/Leecher counts - with new releases of movies and television shows being the exception. I suppose that if I started a tracking service and I used a single pc to support the demand of new movies/television shows, I would hit a DoS situation. But general trackers are not setup that way. They can handle high demand from a large user base. No one is proposing that you put 20 occurances of a specific tracker to bang away at the server for seeder/leechers or to circumvent the retry timer. And in the number of years I have used uTorrent, I have yet to see an error message that reported a DoS.

Note that I am not advocating the user NOT clean up the tracker list. Trackers that are no longer valid or not authorized for that specific torrent should be removed from the list. Those where you are getting errors - for a variety of reasons - should be removed; so you are left with a list of working trackers for that specific torrent.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You all. Was very helpful. I get very high download now.

But back to my other question. Especially when I am seeding I only upload to uTorrent users. Sometimes I upload to Tixati or others but with very low speed. Does uTorrent prefer other uTorrent-clients?

Archived