Anonymous?!

rmlazzari

The other day, out of curiosity, to measure speed, went in another PC that is on the same hub that my and started to download a file. Torrent I knew it was available in my. I'm using uTorrent 3.2 build 27886 32bit both. And what was my surprise to find that the list of peers not appeared mei IP address but the name of my computer, as adjusted when installing Windows 7!

Does this name appeared only because both computers are on the same hub? Or is that anyone who enters the network sees the name of my computer? Someone help me bring up "anonymous" or at least my IP number?

Thankful.

I followed your tip, the reverse dns games but I'm not sure I have understood. Is it just me who see the name of my computer on the network? And that is because I set my uTorrent client to resolve the IP addresses?

If I'm thinking right, for people who are not on the same hub that I am, they can not see the name of my computer, but instead simply see a number in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, it is ?

Actually my question is simple: if I leave things as they are - and they are exactly the way they came when I've downloaded - , can anyone see the name of my computer? Or that person will only see an IP number? Must I change something in my uTorrent's settings if I want to be anonymous?

Thank you and please excuse me if my question is very basic. I'm new to P2P issue and I do not understand almost nothing of networks. And I speak and understand english very, very bad, too.

what you see INSIDE the network and OUTSIDE the network are two different things. Your computer name is a NETBIOS name and is not routable. That means it does not cross the NAT routing to the Internet but other NETBIOS machines on the internal network will see that name rather than the external IP or rDNS name that your ISP provides.

As long as I understand your words, cioababy, my PC uses differents protocols to communicate with other PCs. It uses NETBIOS for PCs in the same router and IP for the PCs outside my home network. I guesse IP is the famous TPC-IP... well, I'll really, actualy let this object to the masters. I understood I can be tranquil, quiet 'cause everything is allright'.

Thanks, ciaobaby and DreadWingKnight. :)

Archived