gui.default_del_action not working

jazzz

Hello,

I recently found a lot of torrents in my appdata>roaming/utorrent and temp folders.

Searching I found this:

"gui.default_del_action: This option tells µTorrent how it should remove torrent jobs when pressing the Remove button in the toolbar or Delete on your keyboard. Note that any value above 3 will cause the Remove button in the toolbar and the Delete button on your keyboard to do nothing in µTorrent. If anything, you should set this by right-clicking the Remove button in the toolbar, holding Shift, and left-clicking the action you'd like to be default.

0 means "Remove" (remove the torrent job from the list, but all related files are left intact on the disk)

1 means "Remove and delete .torrent" (remove the selected torrent job(s) from the list and the corresponding torrent file(s) from where the storage location on disk)

2 means "Remove and delete Data" (remove the torrent selected job(s) from the list and all content downloaded from the torrent job(s))

3 means "Remove and delete .torrent + Data" (remove the selected torrent job(s) from the list, the corresponding torrent file(s) from the storage location on disk, and all content downloaded from the torrent job(s))"

I have tried and tried using 1 and also holding shift while clicking, the folder is removed from the appdata>roaming/utorrent folder but it remains in the folder where I downloaded it or the temp folde in case I just chose open with from my browser when I want to start downloading a torrent.

Obviously it is not working. Anyone can help?

Thank you.

I have tried and tried using 1 and also holding shift while clicking, the folder is removed from the appdata>roaming/utorrent folder but it remains in the folder where I downloaded it or the temp folde in case I just chose open with from my browser when I want to start downloading a torrent.

As far as I can tell - this is expected behavior. uTorrent copies (not moves) the torrent from where-ever it is (temp/other folder) to the folder you've set as .torrent files' location (or the default location - near the exe). It, then, deletes it from that last location .

They could have *moved* it from the original/temp location, or possibly just from the temp Internet files location.

temp folde in case I just chose open with from my browser when I want to start downloading a torrent.
So I guess you are using Infernet Exploder or Google Chrome as your browser then.

No, I use Firefox. But in any case, whether I open the torrent directly from the browser or download it first and open it from a specific folder, it is not deleted from the hard drive when I remove it from the utorrent client.

I wouldn't mind deleting the torrents manually if I download them to a specific folder because I would know where they are and they would be a couple of clicks away. But unhiding files and then going to windows explorer and looking for the temp folder to delete the torrents, shouldn't be the way to do it.

looking for the temp folder to delete the torrents

It is your browser who is doing that' date=' not uTorrent. Ask Mozilla/IE/etc.[/quote']

Let's forget about the browser, If I download a torrent to the desktop, then open the torrent using utorrent to start my download. The download finishes, I click remove torrent, according to the below text, the torrent should be removed from the desktop:

"gui.default_del_action: 1 means "Remove and delete .torrent" (remove the selected torrent job(s) from the list and the corresponding torrent file(s) from where the storage location on disk)"

This is not happening.

the torrent should be removed from the desktop:

No' date=' from the defined location in pref->directories->"store .torrent in", where it was copied to. Do I need to repeat myself?... [url']http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=710172#p710172

I read what you said and I understand what you mean, but it doesn't make any sense.

I was thinking, why do I want to make a copy of the torrent to another folder if I already have it in a folder of my choice, and then delete this copy later?. Why do I want to have 2 copies of the same torrent? what is the point of this?

So I had to try some things and do a research until i got this:

"Although µTorrent is mostly self-contained, there has to be a location where it can store its settings for later use after the first run. Because µTorrent does not use the Windows Registry, it has to store its configuration in files on separate files on the disk. By default, those files are located at %AppData%\uTorrent"

Finally it makes sense!!!

But before I found this... as a beginner I find lots of torrents in my folders and then wonder why they are there, I research, look for help and find about "gui.default_del_action", So I think this is wonderful, it should fix it. But the help manual doesn't state that this is connected to "store. torrent in".

Then, I come here and ask for help, but someone like you assumes that I already know about the "store. torrent in" which is disabled by default, and that in some magic way I should have guessed that "gui.default_del_action" has anything to do with "store. torrent in"

I am just saying, there are a lot of people out there who just wanna download stuff or people who are just beginners, learning step by step or trying to get some help.

This manual should clarify how and where "gui.default_del_action" works. And some people shouldn't assume that everyone has their knowledge, some people are not interested in getting deep into some things and just wanna download stuff, that is why not everybody is a geek. And some people are just newbies, but that is why we ask for help and that is how we all start with everything in life right?

This manual should clarify how and where "gui.default_del_action" works. And some people shouldn't assume that everyone has their knowledge, some people are not interested in getting deep into some things and just wanna download stuff, that is why not everybody is a geek. And some people are just newbies, but that is why we ask for help and that is how we all start with everything in life right?

OK, I promise to make it clearer in the next version of this "manual"/help-file whenever published... You are welcome to suggest appropriate text... BTW, I guess one more reason to copy it is to make it easier to move uT around to another PC/USB drive...

Archived