uTorrent 3.3 stable (29126) Disk overloaded 100% [Win xp]

Malediciton

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My tests were done on 29544, which happily tells me that "there are no new versions available" when checking for updates. Yet another bug?

[ Edit to avoid double post: Also, my tests were done on both WinXP and Win7 - the older machine is running WinXP, and the new one I created was on Win7. So the problem does not seem to be limited to XP users ]

More info:

I have been able to somewhat mitigate this by turning the write cache off, but it does NOT solve the problem. It only happens less frequently. Once it does happen, it's the same old thing, process has to be killed.

I did find other threads on the forum where people were talking about Corked Jobs, and none of them tell you how to find this value (uTorrent's documentation also doesn't mention it).

I finally found it: click on any torrent, go to the speed tab, in the Show: drop down box choose Disk Statistics. These stats seem to apply to uTorrent as a whole and have nothing to do with the current torrent, so I'm very confused as to why you can only get to them in this way. Maybe I'm missing another route to see this.

Anyway, this is relevant because while the stuck at 100% problem is happening, the Corked Jobs number gets really high, and keeps rising and rising. During normal operation, I occasionally see the corked jobs number go up, and then eventually go back down to zero.

What is a corked job? I have no idea! I tried searching this forum and the internet at large and I couldn't find any indication of what that represents. It's under disk statistics, so I assume it has something to do with Disk IO but an official word on that would be great.

Since I had some hardware available, I decided to test whether this was due to the disks or to the client.
I'm on 29609, same result.

You want to try it out based on my settings (see below, in my sig, modified per your connection speed)?

Also you might want to try 3.3.1 (also below) with these settings ...

I'm very comfortable in options, I've gone through and changed everything everyone has explained in every thread I've found about this. Nothing has worked. The best fix is to exit uTorrent with end process tree and restarting it, which usually fixes it for a bit.

Hello everyone. I am new here and I registered to post my comment on the issue. Hopefully this might help some of you.

I have had the exact same problem as some of you here. After a minute my download speeds would stop and I would get the Disk Overloaded 100% message.

However, I just downloaded something and I didn't get disk overloaded. And also my speeds increased a bit.

There are only 2 things I have done recently to my laptop that could have a possible effect on uTorrent.

1. Used CCleaner to clean junk out from Windows and my Internet Browsers including cache and all that. Also used CCleaner to clean my registry.

2. I defragged my hard drive using Auslogics Disk Defrag.

So you might want to give those a try to see if it fixes the disk overload problem. I personally think it was the degramenting that fixed it for me but I could be wrong.

I was also averaging 1-2 MB per second download before but with the torrent I just downloaded I saw speeds between 3-4 MB per second so my speeds definitely got better as well as the disk overload being fixed.

Use a faster drive to download to.

Use a smaller cache.

Increase the queue depth.

Your advice assumes that the problem is the user and their configuration, and not a bug in uTorrent. You seem to be ignoring all the evidence that it's a bug. People have repeatedly been reporting things that point to the issue not being related to drive speed or cache size.

In my own example, I am downloading to a drive that does nothing but hold data and isn't being used by anything else. It gets sustained write speeds of 70+ MB/s. My connection can download at most 6 MB/s. I have disabled the write cache after the problem started to see if it helps (it doesn't), where previously I was using the default setting which always worked fine. I also tried manually setting smaller cache amounts.

Multiple people including myself have seen this show up while Windows reports absolutely no other drive activity, and there are several other threads reporting this problem's relation to the Corked Jobs figure.

I'm not sure what you mean by increasing the queue depths. I didn't see it anywhere in uTorrent's settings, but it's entirely possible I'm missing it. Whether it's a uTorrent setting or not, maybe you can give some instructions on how to accomplish this and give an explanation on why you think it will help, and why it's now necessary in the newer builds of uTorrent.

Since I had some hardware available' date=' I decided to test whether this was due to the disks or to the client.[/quote']

You want to try it out based on my settings (see below, in my sig, modified per your connection speed)?

Also you might want to try 3.3.1 (also below) with these settings ...

Your advice assumes that the problem is the user and their configuration, and not a bug in uTorrent. You seem to be ignoring all the evidence that it's a bug. People have repeatedly been reporting things that point to the issue not being related to drive speed or cache size.

Given that I am using the same version and build with NONE of these problems, what does that suggest to you?

• 2 weeks later...

Given that I am using the same version and build with NONE of these problems, what does that suggest to you?

So why when i installed previous build, the problem has gone?

The problem is NOT in that the disk is overloaded by 100%, it is in that the program "hangs" with this message (no upload or download during this time, and in performance monitor i see no disk activity).

Another problem is that when i add a large torrent (10 Gb and over), the program STLL TRIES to allocate space on HDD, even if the checkbox 'preallocate all files' is switched off.

On previous builds, this message appeared during the torrent allocation on HDD (if disk is also been used by another processes). After the file has been allocated, the message disappeared and the torrent continued to download,

also, i'm currently downloading 2 torrents on differend HDDs

the program says disk is overloaded 100% and BOTH torrent download speed has reached to zero.

It is unreal that BOTH HDDs are overloaded on the same time. I see this in performance monitor.

Also when i exit the program it still launced in the processes, i have to kill it manually.

1. Does "running-as -admin" help?

2. Does running 3.3.1 help?

3. Does advanced->diskio.sparse_files = true + pre-allocation - unchecked help?

4. Do my settings help?

5. Does uninstalling your AV/security software help?

Didn't see any mention of those in this thread...

1. Do you mean running program as administrator or with -admin key?

Either running as admin, or setting exe properties->compatibility->priv->as admin.

3. Have set diskio.sparse_files to 'true'. The checkbox has been unchecked already.

Setting to pasre_files=false and per-allocate = enabled (checked) is my preference... but others have set it reversed...

• 2 weeks later...

Still no fix for this problem. I really wish an admin or a dev would look at this and see there actually IS a problem here. And for anyone saying "Write to a faster disk", I'm using a 256gb SSD, with 500mb/s read/write with 16gb RAM, on an I7 3770k with a fresh install of Windows, and ONLY uTorrent installed. (Fresh install to test it) My internet connection is 30mbps down, 6 up, and the file was downloading at about 3.5mb/s.

Using another torrent program, this problem never arises. Tested by deleting the partial data (The data downloaded before the disk error) and starting the same exact 20gb download with another torrent application. Averaging the same speeds, the file completes just fine.

Can a dev PLEASE look into this.

Same here. Been downloading things with utorrent at 11MB/s for a very long time and suddenly when I updated from 3.2 to 3.3 I get disk overloaded 100% after a short while and process won't die with utorrent exit anymore. Something locks up and message doesn't go away even if downloads are stopped.

Interestingly turning off "Enabling caching of disk reads" seemed to removed the problem for the time being. I also removed the checkbox for manual cache size. No matter what I put as cache size I got the disk overloaded message. I tried several numbers from 64mb to 1800mb. It actually worked best at 1800 because most files were smaller than this and it seems to freeze when the cache is full with the manual cache size enabled. Not really a fix but some observations that might help someone.

The disk writing part of uTorrent (3.3 build 29625) hangs every day. I never turn off PC and uTorrent. If I try to download some torrent after the uTorrent have been running for couple of hours - it gets downloaded, but only to cache/ram. There are no writes to disk whatsoever (everyone can monitor this in "Speed" tab of uTorrent). Flushing to disk won't work either. I have to try to close uTorrent (always with no use - it still stays not-responding & running and I have to kill it in task manager) to get the disk writing working again (and YES - I know how to correctly close uTorrent so it does not stay running).

I have found, that I'm unable to clean-close uTorrent after couple of hours even if I don't start to download anything. There is a part of uTorrent that clearly hangs after some time. And as writing to disk doesn't work - it seems it is most likely this part.

Do the developers even check this forum? Please contact me if you need more details on this issue - I might help to troubleshoot this, as I'm experienced user working in IT area for many years.

Coming back - nope - 3.3.1 has the same issue. After several hours of running, I'm not even able to close the app cleanly.

AND if I try to download anything, it doesn't write to disk. See the light-green graph in the image below?

2zof48o.png

I need to KILL IT in task manager first, then I can download normally.

It doesn't matter if I start downloading and then kill it, or if I only try to close it first (unable to close cleanly after couple of hours running and seeding - have to kill it).

Oh and BTW - I have 100mbit up / 100mbit down line. This screenshot was taken only few seconds after I started to download a torrent. 11-12 MB/s is my usual speed; either up or down.

How it looks like after kill and restart:

2zi1ogw.png

Until version 3, there was no such issue. I have waited quite long for this to be fixed, until I finally decided to speak up. How come it was introduced in all 3.x.x versions and still no fix??

How come? They've re-written the file IO sub-system. That's how come. Probably still getting it 'up to speed'... ;p .

Did you try using my settings?

Did you try uninstalling your AV software ?

Did you try running uT as admin? ...

Archived