PLEASE HELP w/Magnets

burtomr

How do I get uTorrent to 'find' Peers for Tracker-less Magnets to start working? They just sit in the que never starting which I think is because they have no Trackers or Peers.

My internet connection is via WiFi in an apt. complex. DHT and Peer Exchange are enabled in Preferences. I do get a Green check in the lower corner when I download Regular Torrents - the kind that come with their own Trackers - they work fine.

Is 'Port Forwarding' possibly my problem? I cannot access the server / router to change settings since it is located in the office.

Please let me know if you have a tip, solution, or suggestion.

@DreadWingKnight, et al

I read everything I could find but nothing so far has provided a solution. What info do you need to help. I am using UT 2.2.1. DHT & Peer Exchange boxes are checked. Using Windows XP. My Internet is via WiFi through a remotely located server / router.

I can download and upload Torrents that come w/ their own Trackers. Tracker-less Torrents DO NOT seem to work, i.e. they never find any Peers or Trackers. Any ideas why?

Thank you!

DreadWingKnight,

Ok, I updated to uT 3.3.

And here is results of your 'uTorrent DHT Troubleshooting' checklist:

1.) No firewalls enabled in Windows.

2.) Not using PeerGuardian.

3.) Attempt to load Magnet from 'OpenOffice' result:

Unable to load "OOo_2.1.0_win32Intel_install_en-US.exe": unable to parse magnet URI!

Attempt to load Magnet from 'Depthstrike' result:

Unable to load "vidalia-bundle-0.1.1.23-0.0.7-tiger.dmg": unable to parse magnet URI!

4.) Prior to #3, I deleted 'dht.dat' and 'dht.dat.old' files from appdata\uTorrent folder then re-started uT.

Hopefully now you can help me diagnose why Tracker-less Magnets do not find Peers or Trackers.

Note: I have been able to download and share upload many, many Torrents that came w/Trackers.

Thank you!

ciaobaby,

Is there any way I can do something from my end to enable Port Forwarding? i.e. via 'Control Panel' settings in 'Internet Connections' or 'Internet Options'?

http://www.speedtest.net/ does reveal my system IP address vs. my actual IP address if that might help somehow?

Any ideas? Or is there absolutely no way since the server / router is in the way?

Is there any way I can do something from my end to enable Port Forwarding?

IF uPNP or MAT-PMP is turned off at the router, no there isn't. You could try asking whoever manages the router to give you a fixed LAN IP and forward a port for you.

actual IP address
Actual IP meaning?

ciaobaby,

Actual IP meaning?

1.) There's the IP address I get if I query the 'Wireless Internet Connection Status' icon (Win XP)

2.) Then there's the IP address that Speedtest.com says is my Ping Test address, which is different than #1.

I assume that the main server re-IP's my IP address to a different IP address when it outputs me to the net? Is that what happens?

I assume that the main server re-IP's my IP address to a different IP address when it outputs me to the net? Is that what happens?

That's the job of the router, your computer is given a LAN (Local Area Network) IP and the router passes the data to and from the WAN (Wide Area Network) IP. The process is called Network Address Translation (NAT) and is why ports need to be forwarded and why proxy servers do not work too well with torrenting.

ciaobaby,

Ok, I called the system admin. and read your message to her:

"IF uPNP or MAT-PMP is turned off at the router... You could try asking whoever manages the router to give you a fixed LAN IP and forward a port for you."

She gave me a "Pubic IP" with "no frewalls or blocking". Now when I run uT 'Setup Guide' I get a Green Check for both 'Bandwidth' and 'Network'. Before I had a Yellow check for 'Network' and Green for BW.

So far I don't see any of my Tracker-less Magnets starting....is there something else I need to do to get the show-on-the-road?

Thank you!

ciaobaby,

Let me first say THANK YOU! for your help so far...

Ok, it's been a couple hours and all my Tracker-less Magnets are still dormant....:(

uT Properties \ Connection \ UPnP + NATPMP + Add Windows Firewall Exception ALL checked

I checked their individual 'Properties' panel(s): DHT, Peer Exchange, and Local Peer Discovery are ALL checked.

I also ran 'PFPortChecker' and it says my port (8080) IS forwarded in 'UDP' but not 'TCP' (it's one or the other, I guess?)

Any ideas???

Thank you!

ciaobaby,

I changed my Port number (to 6550) now 'PFPortChecker' says BOTH TCP and UDP ARE forwarded.

Peer Exchange, Local Peer Discovery, DHT in the status window ALL say "working" but they just cycle though their timer and don't ever seem to find anything - ALL the numbers (Seeds, Peers, Downloaded) stay at 0.

I don't know how to check the router "for the port being forwarded for both TCP and UDP"? Can you tell me how to check it?

Thank you!

Check your router manual for instructions.

Reminder: I cannot access the router myself. I can ask the admin. to do stuff up to a point. It's obviously NOT a good idea for me to tell the admin. that I am trying to setup a P to P network per se. I can ask for "normal" type questions but that's the whole point of my questions....

What do I ask for??? now that I have a forwarded port, etc. in a lingo that makes sense and is doable since I share the apt. complex router, i.e. It's not my personal router so I don't have a 'manual' or physical access to it's settings (if that's really the issue?).

Is there a way to test my Tracker-less torrent connection / abilities via some app that I can run that does more to solve the issue than uT's 'Setup Guide' and 'PFPortChecker' ?

ciaobaby,

I 'may' be able to ask the admin for router info or perhaps to change some setting(s)

BUT, what do I ask for ?

Example: I previously read your words to the admin:

"IF uPNP or MAT-PMP is turned off at the router... You could try asking whoever manages the router to give you a fixed LAN IP and forward a port for you."

...and they supposedly did it, so what do I ask for now?

Reminder: I cannot access the router myself.
Ah yes

If !(ReadThread()) {
User.LookingLikeAMuppet = True;
}

So it is possibly something on your machine, check whatever firewall you have for uTorrent being allowed through, Internet Security app(s), and for DHT messages in the GUI status bar.

Also run the 'Glasnost' tests (pinned thread in "Speed Issues") just to check that the ISP is not blocking traffic.

If they are, read this thread

Archived