uTorrent downloads stop at "flushing to disk"

fynxer

I am running version 3.3 and it begun to stop when it get to the flushing to disk section. It does very slow progress from there, a 1GB file can take an hour or more to flush to disk. I have an 256GB Vertex 4 SSD where it stores the download work files so flushing should go in an instant. My SSD is fully functional and otherwise works at blazing speed.I have fresh install of Windows 8 with 8GB memory and latest drivers, computer works like a charm otherwise. Also activated utorrent cache for maximum 1800MB. Can anyone help please? Thanks!

Done some more testing and i unmarked and deactivated the option "Override automatic cache size and specify the size manually" what happens then is when downloading a 4GB file the download speeds up to around 12MB/s. Then during the download the download speed drops to under 256KB/s and there is a 100% disk overload when writing to the ssd and then it speeds up the download to 12MB/s again, this happens several times during download up and down like a jojo. Same thing happens when setting the cache to 512MB and 1024MB with the drop speed and 100% overload. But i did not have the drop speed and 100% overload problem when setting cache to 1800MB but instead it took forever to flush. My SSD can save files at almost 500MB/s so i have a hard time understanding a 100% overload when utorrent is writing to it. Maybe utorrent saves its files in a way that not suited for a high speed SSD. What do i know...

Okey, here it is:

utorrent_zpsfff5d21f.jpg

Only setting i played with is the fist one, tried to turn it off or set it to 512MB, 1024MB and 1800MB.

Thanks for your help.

Getting the feeling that utorrent only does one thing at a time. When it wants to save to ssd it drops the download speed to nothing and then when finished saving to ssd it starts downloading again. Only an observation how utorrent acts and from that a wild guess since i really do not know the inner workings of utorrent program code.

uTorrent performs better with a SMALLER cache! ESPECIALLY when using the relatively slow on write SSDs.

I have a 256GB Vertex 4 with an intel ivy bridge cpu and z77 chipset it performs writes almost at 500MB/s.

Thats why i cant figure out why it stops downloading while writing to the ssd with 100% disk overload then when finished writing to ssd starts up downloading again until the next time it wants to write and so it cycles trough out the whole down load and this with both 512MB and 1024MB cache size.

But with 1800MB cache every thing works fine until it finished downloading then it takes over an hour to flush the cache to the ssd.

Maybe this is an utorrent in combination with ssd problem, i dont know.

Hope it can be fixed some how since utorrent is the very best torrent clinet out there.

I am having the exact same problem and was about top post a new thread. I also have a SSD drive as well as a 650gb storage drive. At first i used the SSD to hold the downloads but when i started having the same disk overload and flushing to disk problems, i tried switching the download location to the storage drive. It doesn't help and still gives the same errors. I even gave utorrent full I/O access to drives(which I was not very comfortable doing but wanted to see if that might solve the issue) So far nothing has helped. If I allow multiple torrents to run, or a single torrent with multiple files, I get the disk overloaded 100% issue and the flushing to disk problems. There must be some solution here......

I get the disk overloaded 100% issue and the flushing to disk problems.

That's because it is trying to write TOO MUCH DATA to the drive interface TOO QUICKLY.

It can't flush the cache because the drive isn't responding to how quickly the cache is being flushed. YOU have to try and balance the cache size with the speed of the drive interface. There isn't a "one size fits all" solution YOU have to do a bit of work to determine what is optimum for YOUR setup.

A smaller cache means that it has to write less data to the disk more often.

There are also some "Advanced Settings" to tweak for optimum performance, read the manual for what the diskio. property values mean and how they affect the disc writing rates and how much data is written each time.

Make a safety backup of settings.dat BEFORE you start, document each and every change backing up settings.dat EVERY TIME you make a change so you can step back each time if it makes things worse. But NEVER OVERWRITE THE SAFETY BACKUP, that's your 'get out of jail' card.

• 7 months later...

It would be a lot better if, instead of lecturing users about the program constraints, that the programmers and reps of Utorrent actually attended to problems that users experience.

For me (and, I dare say, the poster here) the cache was increased to 1800 to avoid the newish error report by Utorrent of 100% overload. I for one in 5 years of using Utorrent as by far my preferred client have never seen this error till the last month. To me that indicates that Utorrent 3.XX could do with some remedial work. Instead on the threads I've looked at with the 100% message as the causus belli the poster's query has basically been ignored with any fault being allocated to the user.

Now here we find, again, it's the users fault for the "Flushing" problem. As the poster has indicated they are using a quality SSD, in my case it's a conventional HD. No, perhaps not conventional, in that it is a WD Black, an enterprise class HD ie an above average quality HD.

It would be far better to have the Utorrent rep advise that both these issues were down to be fixed in a subsequent update rather than accuse users of working outside the programs seemingly inadequate parameters.

And, yes, annoyance with the quality of the reps reply has stirred me to create a login to this forum. This is something I rarely do and is an indication of my liking for the program which appears to be suffering neglect from its current custodians.

• 2 weeks later...

These are my uTorrent(3.3 build 29462 32bit) settings: http://i.imgur.com/k29yzA1.png

Managed to download a 19GB torrent to a normal S3 HDD, WD Black 1TB 64MB buffer, with a maximum download speed of 20MB/s(bytes not bits). I achieved a maximum download speed of 50MB/s on a 30GB torrent but I got inconsistent results(uTorrent crashing at various points, speeds) Try it, hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here. When the program says "100% disk overload", windows says there is less than 5% disk usage across all disks. Or several files will say "Flushing to disk", and windows will say there is no disk usage. There is obviously some memory leak or hiccup in uTorrent that needs addressing.

Here is a screenshot at 100% disk overload:

eIG6cg6.png

http://i.imgur.com/eIG6cg6.png

Archived