Free of malware?

petknu

and you may be less hasty to assume others just skip through screens without reading them.

I doubt it!!

After MANY installations of uTorrent on many different machine I have NEVER, EVER had ANYTHING installed that I didn't expect and not only from uTorrent but many, many other 'free' applications.

No 'browser toolbars', no 'popups', no 'malware' and NOTHING has changed the "home page" or search URLs that I have set up on the browsers I have on my machines.

You have succeeded in making me download it again. We'll assume it's the same version.

I have unchecked all things that could be unchecked (movies, utorrent toolbars).

Various "next" buttons led me to this:

utorrent_22apple.png

where I suppose I could have missed the 'accept/decline" thing, as there is nothing there to accept or decline, certainly no "would you like us to hijack your browsers".

And you cannot pay me enough to try clicking "finish", as I suspect it will just assume consent despite no option being selected (I do not recall needing to agree to anything last time, so it's likely).

Yes, I brought it on myself for clicking 'finish" on a page with nothing but "Recommended by utorrent, 22apple" and some irrelevant test about most commonly viewed pages, games, sports... and a premission question that assumed "yes" without even selecting it (common behavior in such a case being leaving the button deactivated until a choice is made, or selecting either).

and a premission question that assumed "yes" without even selecting it (common behavior in such a case being leaving the button deactivated until a choice is made, or selecting either).

That's the way it is with ALL "recommended by" installations, they will default to 'Yes' UNLESS you explicitly choose 'No'.

All right, granted (not that I've had any experience with other "recommended by" installations, and all others do as I've described).

Could you now address the issue that all I was implicitly agreeing to is that uTorrent and 22apple recommend some things (recommend them all you want, I don't care), or, worst case, that uTorrent recommends 22apple for them? No actions.

Utorrent should steer away and rid themselves from 22apple at all cost.

Too much bad/negative publicity about this crap all over the web...

I've been trying to be in the middle of the road but I cannot find too much good to say about 22apple from what I've beed reading.

This 22apple "software/search engine" should have never been in the picture whether there's an option or not when installing uTorrent.

http://blog.teesupport.com/how-to-remove-22apple-com-virus-22apple-com-redirect-manual-removal/

Thank you for the support, Beasly. 22apple shows all symptoms of malicious software, and its inclusion is therefore a colossal blow to uTorrent's reputation.

Now, would one of you who are defending its *delivery method* care to continue the discussion?

Last time, I claimed that, even *if* the strange permission request was actually proper, I did not, in fact, agree to anything but their right to recommend me things (and mine to ignore the recommendation, whether I acknowledge it or not).

Are you a politician? You're deflecting the query that renders your arguments void, with semantics.

Also, wrong. By persistently "pointing it out", you're doing exactly that, defending the method.

Which, as I keep pointing out with equal persistence, lacks information about the choice, conveniently located where few people pay attention to unless the Next/Finish button is greyed out (heck, even below the typical location), affecting any software installation.

Aside from that, I have never, ever seen an installer select options the user has left unselected. Defaulting to consent is done before, not after, the choice is presented, otherwise the user us required to make a choice.

Consider this analogy.

"...and that concludes the free checkup."

"All right"

"Should you ever want, say, a Porsche 911, I know a good dealer."

"All right"

"Great, here's the invoice, I've taken the liberty to put your signature on it. You will also find 4 other people at your house - they're living there now, to pay for the things you didn't even ask for, since your cards are now over limit".

And then someone says "you should have paid attention".

Archived