Keep getting "Error: Data error (CRC). (WriteToDisk)" when downloading

kamild1996

Hello!

Since I bought a new PC, uTorrent started to work badly. Sometimes when downloading a torrent, it stops and shows me:

"Error: Data error (CRC). (WriteToDisk)"

("Data error" is a translated string because my OS is in polish language)

Pressing "Start torrent" button makes torrent to resume but after one-two minutes it happens again and again until it comes to 99.9% of progress - then torrent state changes to "Flushing to disk (16)" and shows this "WriteToDisk" error again! What is the problem? :/

It's not happening on all the torrents. My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and my HDD is Western-Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA3.

I used Windows integrated tool for checking disks but I asked my friend to test my HDD using MHDD. Results? No bad sectors/clusters, disk health is OK. My hard drive is about 2 months old so I don't think this is it's fault. Besides, all other programs for downloading (Ygoow, Mailshare, FlashGet, JDownloader etc.) are working perfectly.

So I'm 100% sure it's not my disk's fault.

There is probably an intermittent fault on your HDD, get it replaced under warranty. I have had three WD Caviar drives fail, (in different machines) in the past eight months.

If my disk is broken (obviously it's not), why things like this are happening only on some torrents? I'm just telling you - my drive is fine.

EDIT: That same torrent which uTorrent can't download properly, Free Download Manager downloaded without any problems. Now that's for sure - uTorrent fails, not my hardware.

If my disk is broken (obviously it's not), why things like this are happening only on some torrents? I'm just telling you - my drive is fine.

I guess you don't understand how data is stored on a hard drive.

CRC errors on HDs are generally caused by one or more of the magnetic domains in a cluster or sector being damaged, and once CRCs start showing up it is usually only a matter of time before more "go bad" So no; Your drive isn't completely "broken" but it has a problem that will only get worse if left alone.

Running chkdsk /f in a command prompt before Windows starts will try to recover the data and "fix" the damaged sectors by marking them as unusable, so Windows will not try to store data there.

Take the errors as a WARNING that your drive IS going to fail, and you can choose to be proactive, fix it before it happens and NOT lose data, or you can be reactive and start flapping around when it does fail with the data unrecoverable by you and will cost 8 - 12 THOUSAND dollars to recover it in a 'clean room'.!!!!

Your choice!!

Archived