My Dilemma

lenoir5002

I currently use Utorrent 3.3 (build 29544) 32 bit. I have been using Utorrent for the last couple of years. My ISP is iiNet in Australia.The contract I presently have does not count uploads as part of my quota, supposedly. I have read somewhere that Utorrent "overhead" can account for some unexplained download readings. Overnight I chose to "seed only" a bunch of torrents, perhaps 12 or so. I check my quota this morning at iiNet, and it showed the following: uploads 1204.41 Mb; downloads 1239.42 Mb. If the download figure is considered "overheads", it does, on these figures, seem excessive. Is there some way to reduce this download figure? Can anyone help?:

I have conducted an analysis of my dilemma over the past six days. First, let me explain my ISP (iiNet). I have a plan that allows me two periods peak (8:00am to 2:00am daily) and off-peak (2:00am to 8:00am daily). Each period has 35GB allocated. According to the conditions of my contract, iiNet does not charge me for uploads.

Over 6 days I ran Utorrent in seeding only mode from 2:00am to 8:00am daily. On the sixth day I seeded nothing at all. I recorded the hourly figures (taken from iiNet's calculations) and put them into an Excel spreadsheet. For the sake of space, I will use only Totals at this time, but the full breakdown is available on request.

Five days of seeding-only gave the following totals.Uploads: 10,386.00MB; Downloads: 11,119.09MB.

The sixth day figures were negligible.

It does seem to me that Utorrent is the culprit, but what can I do to reduce this costly situation?

Pretty much so. I had downloaded 70 torrents over the past two months, and have been trying to clear my plate so to speak, by seeding, to at least 100% ratio.My other uses include forums, facebook, twitter and email. Other use is locally-based film and music editing, wordprocessing and maintaining spreadsheets.

I have looked. There is a slightly different story there, but the history covers 31 days 24 hrs a day.

The Transfer Cap is not set, although 200GB is greyed in the adjoining box.

The transfer history shows 47.1GB uploads and 43.9GB downloads for 31 days, and notes a total downloads + uploads as 91.0GB.

I changed settings as follows:

Transfer cap (greyed) 100GB

Time period 7 days

Uploaded 15.2GB

Downloaded 18.8GB

Total Up + Down 34.1GB

I have downloaded perhaps half the 18.8GB of torrents at best. I could do a more formal count if required, over a set period.

I'm not sure what this tells me, though. The problem still seems to be excessive download of materials or something by Utorrent. How can this be minimised?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried something different today.

Overnight I set Utorrent to seeding only, about twenty files, for a period of 6 hours..

When I checked iiNet's table and graph I had uploaded 2,300MB and downloaded 2600MB.(can this really be protocol overheads?).

Today I seeded only the same files for 50 mins. This time I reduced the number of trackers allotted to each file to just one, thinking this might have something to do with my dilemma. However, my hopes were dashed when I checked iiNet's table and graph, it showed upload 230MB and download 260MB.

This puts me back at first base. Should I try another torrent client to compare?

• 2 months later...

Archived