How to throttle/limit public trackers

TheSPAWN

Your client is not connected to 'trackers' and BitTorrent clients do not 'know' what tracker(s) a peer came from.

What on earth are you talking about?? Your client SPECIFICALLY connects to trackers and we connect to peers.

What I'm referring to is already available via a plugin for rtorrent. What it does is give ability to set rules based on trackers within the torrent file. ie if all trackers are public then set throttle rules. Or if one tracker included X set rules etc.

It does not CONNECT to trackers clients simply request a list of IPs, ports and client IDs for that particular job HashID. There is no real need to know what particular tracker a peer came from

What I'm referring to is already available via a plugin for rtorrent.
So why are you not using rtorrent then, instead of wanting to add yet another pointless, resource wasting 'feature' to a client where the stated aim IS to keep resource usage at a minimum and not add useless features?

It does not CONNECT to trackers clients simply request a list of IPs, ports and client IDs for that particular job HashID. There is no real need to know what particular tracker a peer came from
What I'm referring to is already available via a plugin for rtorrent.
So why are you not using rtorrent then, instead of wanting to add yet another pointless, resource wasting 'feature' to a client where the stated aim IS to keep resource usage at a minimum and not add useless features?

Well firstly at what point in my original post did I mention absolutely ANYTHING whatsoever about peers/clients?

I'm referring SPECIFICALLY to trackers in torrent file, and yes no matter what you think the client does connect to tracker. Plus either way its irrelevant because im talking about our client checking .torrent file for specified trackers which is independent of peers and connection to any tracker anyway so you obviously didn't even understand the question.

Also, I AM using rtorrent on my Linux server but I also run a Windows server and use utorrent on that which is why I am posting here. Are you saying we can only use a single client and no more??

And with regards to your last remark, firstly its not "pointless" you're just a very ignorant person if you think that. And secondly I didn't ask in this topic about "adding features" I simply asked if it was currently possible via utorrent or if it was possible via an external app.

Did you even bother reading what I wrote in OP properley or understanding what I asked? Obviously not because I didn't ask for whinny/ignorant/unhelpful replies like yours.

Are you saying we can only use a single client and no more??

Nope! What I'm saying use the tool that is most appropriate for your requirements.

I didn't ask in this topic about "adding features"
Not in this thread certainly.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=137206

firstly its not "pointless"
It IS 'pointless' to the vast majority of uTorrent users, which brings it right back to using the right tool for your needs.

Nope! What I'm saying use the tool that is most appropriate for your requirements.

As I already said I use BOTH Linux AND Windows and was simply looking for a solution so I can have this feature on BOTH so that BOTH tools were suitable to my requirements, I dont care in slightest what your personal opinions are and didn't ask for them.

Correct. Not in this thread (The one you posted in).

The point of the 2 topics was to 1) see if it was possible via current utorrent or external app and 2) To request it be added in future if not.

It IS 'pointless' to the vast majority of uTorrent users, which brings it right back to using the right tool for your needs.

And you personally speak for the "vast" majority of users do you?? I think not! You're just a child who thinks he's a keyboard warrior who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

And you personally speak for the "vast" majority of users do you?? I think not!
Neither do you, but you appear to want to dictate what every user gets lumbered with.
You're just a child who thinks he's a keyboard warrior who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Another one getting an assumption totally wrong.

Neither do you, but you appear to want to dictate what every user gets lumbered with.

Here you go again, talking complete crap.

Can you please point out at which point in either or my topics I dictated anything??

Firstly, This topic didnt dictate anything because I was simply asking if it was currently possible or possible via 3rd party app.

Secondly the other topic was a "request" of a feature, Its up to the devs to acceopt that request or not so I didnt "dictate" absolutley anything whatsoever at any point in this topic that you have idiotically turned into your own personal war for some reason, go away and play somewhere else.

Another one getting an assumption totally wrong.

I have not made any assumptions, I have made observations on clear fact.

Can you please point out at which point in either or my topics I dictated anything??

By "requesting" a feature that YOU want, you are hoping to influence the inclusion of something that only you want and would simply be another resource waste for every other user.

By "requesting" a feature that YOU want, you are hoping to influence the inclusion of something that only you want and would simply be another resource waste for every other user.

Are you totally insane or something? Do you even understand the concept of the request feature section?

And how am I, OR YOU supposed to know what "everybody else" wants? The request feature forum is there for individuals to throw out THEIR OWN ideas for improvement in the program. Also how are we supposed to know if other people like the idea until its posted? Are psychic?

Also this topic is not a request, it was a question about if its currently possible either via utorrent now or via 3rd partry app (A fact you seem to forget multiple times).

Also, once again THIS topic is NOT a request, so you're just digging yourself an even deeper hole. All your replies have just been a long string of false claims and misunderstanding of various aspects which just shows how much or an ignorant troll you are, yet you still continue to reply to a topics that has absolutely zero to do with you which goes towards the claim I made earlier that you're simply a child who thinks hes a keyboard warrior.

It's funny. You want a plugin for utorrent that you have for rtorrent, right?

The thing is, and as ciaobaby was trying to tell you, the plugin is worthless. I'll put it simply - it's made with a poor understanding of how the bittorrent protocol works, and is used by ignorant people who REALLY don't understand what they're doing.

And Beasley - I've used qBittorrent - I've even done some work on alphas and betas of it over the past two years. It's just a gui over hte libtorrent engine, and it pretty feature limited (0.16 finally introduces utp introduced in utorrent 2 for instance. If you want a really basic client, fine, but that's all it is, really basic. Like utorrent 1.2 basic.

It's funny. You want a plugin for utorrent that you have for rtorrent, right?

The thing is, and as ciaobaby was trying to tell you, the plugin is worthless. I'll put it simply - it's made with a poor understanding of how the bittorrent protocol works, and is used by ignorant people who REALLY don't understand what they're doing.

And Beasley - I've used qBittorrent - I've even done some work on alphas and betas of it over the past two years. It's just a gui over hte libtorrent engine, and it pretty feature limited (0.16 finally introduces utp introduced in utorrent 2 for instance. If you want a really basic client, fine, but that's all it is, really basic. Like utorrent 1.2 basic.

What on earth are you talking about? Have you even used the plugin I'm referring to? It works as needed and is by no means "worthless"!

And how can you claim it's used by people who don't know what they're doing when it does exactly what its designed to do and does exactly what people want/need it to do? I use the plugin to control public torrents automatically. It will automatically stop torrents after they have downloaded or set ratio and also can throttle upload or download speed. This ability is already in utorrent, just without extra ability to enable it for set trackers. The plugin for rtorrent simply checks .torrent file added for set conditions like private/non-private or specified trackers and then imposes specified limits.

I simply asked if there was currently a solution to have same ability via utorrent itself or by 3rd party program.

Archived