uTorrent is not behaving correctly (not finding peers/no seeding/dw)

josecho2005

Hi,

I have been using uTorrent for a while now and I have never had any problem with it. I had everything configured right (green tick on lower right corner, usually aroung 2.1MB dw speed). Without changing any of this settings, uTorrent started to do some funny things:

* Is not seeding. Well, to be accurate, it only seeds from torrents that are also being downloaded.

* Is not downloading. Again, to be accurate, it does download, but at a 10KB speed.

And the most important:

* Is says the file is not complete. As an example, I have just got to TPB, got the magnet with the highest number or seeders and get it to download. It is downloading at 0.8 KB/s. In the tracker information, I've got over 30K seeders and about 15K leechers, it is a good ratio and still, not downloading. Also, it says that it can't find the complete file, and just about 20% of it is available, thing that is hard to believe with that number of seeders. Also, torrent health shows the full 4 green bars at this moment.

Do you have any idea what could have happened to mess utorrent like this?

I am currently using the latest version (just updated it to check if it was a bug and still getting this weird behavior) and the settings are the same than when it was working fine.

I was reading around and tried a few solutions that some people suggested in the forum, as unchecking the DHT but with no possitive result.

Thanks!

Is not downloading. Again, to be accurate, it does download, but at a 10KB speed.
So .... Is it downloading or not??? because it cannot be both.
* Is says the file is not complete. As an example, I have just got to TPB, got the magnet with the highest number or seeders and get it to download. It is downloading at 0.8 KB/s. In the tracker information, I've got over 30K seeders and about 15K leechers, it is a good ratio and still, not downloading. Also, it says that it can't find the complete file, and just about 20% of it is available, thing that is hard to believe with that number of seeders. Also, torrent health shows the full 4 green bars at this moment.

It is ONLY CONNECTED PEERS that are included in the availability, the imaginary ones reported by trackers are ignored.

* Is not seeding. Well, to be accurate, it only seeds from torrents that are also being downloaded.

That's because there is a "tit for tat" algorithm where 'preference' can/will be given to piece requests from peers that can provide the pieces that another peer is looking for.

Thanks for your answer

So .... Is it downloading or not??? because it cannot be both.

Yes, ~10KB/s max speed

It is ONLY CONNECTED PEERS that are included in the availability, the imaginary ones reported by trackers are ignored.

Right, but I am doing tests with the most popular torrents of TPB, it is virtually impossible that there isn't avaliability of that file online. I asked some friends to run some test. Using the same magnet link, they got the file in ~15-20 minutes

That's because there is a "tit for tat" algorithm where 'preference' can/will be given to piece requests from peers that can provide the pieces that another peer is looking for.

After more than 6 years using torrent on a daily basis, is the first time it happens this to me, and that added to the weid behavior with the downloads and the peer finding, it has to be related.

Archived