Error: write to disk: the process canno acces the file

dr.grumbles

hi, never had an issue with uTorrent up until now, since about 3AM this morning i have started getting:

Error: writetodisk: the process cannot acces the file because it is being used

this is ultimately strange and have tried googling to have this issue resolved and sadly no solution has worked so far.

i run no anti-virus, no roxio, nothing that is using the hard drive to my knowledge, i have turned off indexing on the files being downloaded, shut off all applications that i dont need running (as i dont install any im not going to use so, pretty clean OS), and i still get this error.

how do i get rid of this annoying error??

When the problem occurs have you checked for what files are open and locked???

How to do so depends on your OS.

as far as im aware no files are locked, i have given uTorrent its own dedicated Hard Drive for downloads, no files are ever open directly off the drive either, all fully accessible as far as im aware.

Using Windows 7 ultimate x64

"as far as im aware." is NOT the same as being absolutely sure.

and this comment didnt help me one iota, the drive isnt locked nor is anything on the drive, nothing is using anything on the drive except for uTorrent, no programs run off the drive ever, no windows indexing runs on it.

nothing is using anything on the drive except for uTorrent

Just in case you hadn't worked it out for yourself' date=' ...

The error message proves that something else [b']IS!

in which case ive told you it isnt, no other software is accessing the drive AT ALL, none, zero, zilch, ive already made sure of that, and already said that.

ive already made sure of that, and already said that.

No you said ...

as far as im aware no files are locked, i have given uTorrent its own dedicated Hard Drive for downloads, no files are ever open directly off the drive either, all fully accessible as far as im aware.

The simple fact is there is something that you are NOT aware of.

ive already made sure of that' date=' and already said that.[/quote']

No you said ...

The simple fact is there is something that you are NOT aware of.

you arent being very helpful you know, especially going and picking apart my posts, this isnt an he/she said forum.........

no viruses, no mal-ware, no adware, system is entirely clean.

what more do you want?

ohh, and if you want to doubt me, have a hijack this logfile, i have 6 hard drives, drive G: is the dedicated download drive, but no mention of it in the hijack this log, just to prove that nothing is using the drive at all.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.5
Scan saved at 9:43:22 PM, on 24/07/2013
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7601.17514)

FIREFOX: 21.0 (en-US)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\UWA\AAM Updates Notifier.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Renesas Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\nusb3mon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Synapse\RzSynapse.exe
D:\Program Files\Xfire\Xfire.exe
D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\LWS.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\CameraHelperShell.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\Applets\LCDMedia.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_11_8_800_94.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_11_8_800_94.exe
D:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Users\kin37ik\Downloads\HijackThis.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DllHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: SmartSelect - {F4971EE7-DAA0-4053-9964-665D8EE6A077} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NUSB3MON] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Renesas Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\nusb3mon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JMB36X IDE Setup] C:\Windows\RaidTool\xInsIDE.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Razer Synapse] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Synapse\RzSynapse.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SwitchBoard] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeCS6ServiceManager] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS6ServiceManager\CS6ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher] "D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 8.0] "D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWS] C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\LWS.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PWRISOVM.EXE] D:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE -startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /minimized /regrun
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [SPReview] "C:\Windows\System32\SPReview\SPReview.exe" /sp:1 /errorfwlink:"http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=122915" /build:7601 (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [SPReview] "C:\Windows\System32\SPReview\SPReview.exe" /sp:1 /errorfwlink:"http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=122915" /build:7601 (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.4.1.lnk = D:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Startup: Xfire.lnk = D:\Program Files\Xfire\Xfire.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append Link Target to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert Link Target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Mozilla Maintenance Service (MozillaMaintenance) - Mozilla Foundation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Skype Updater (SkypeUpdate) - Skype Technologies - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Updater\Updater.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: SwitchBoard - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 8852 bytes

How helpful can I be with the information you have provided??????

Believe it or not I am actually trying to help you, despite you being unwilling to actually assist that process!

The error says that SOMETHING is locking the file that uTorrent needs exclusive access to, you are reluctant to accept that as fact. So UNLESS you propose to provide return travel and accomodation for me to come and fix it for you YOU are going to do the checking for yourself, and answer the 'troubleshooting' questions!

So on that note, do you have "[ ] Append !ut to incomplete files" checked?

How helpful can I be with the information you have provided??????

Believe it or not I am actually trying to help you, despite you being unwilling to actually assist that process!

The error says that SOMETHING is locking the file that uTorrent needs exclusive access to, you are reluctant to accept that as fact. So UNLESS you propose to provide return travel and accomodation for me to come and fix it for you YOU are going to do the checking for yourself, and answer the 'troubleshooting' questions!

So on that note, do you have "[ ] Append !ut to incomplete files" checked?

NO OTHER SOFTWARE TOUCHES THE DRIVE, ONLY UTORRENT DOES, WINDOWS DOES NO INDEXING OF THE DRIVE OR ANYTHING, NOTHING IS LOCKING IT, PERIOD.

please show me where in the hijack this log that drive G: which is the dedicated download drive is being used anywhere, because the log PROVES that the drive is NOT in USE.

and no, i do not have append .!ut checked, and the directory is not read-only, i have full access and control of the drive.

What type of files are being locked, media files?

wmplayer.exe is running, it might index them.

no media files, .rar and .zip files

i have full access and control of the drive.
But does uTorrent??
NO OTHER SOFTWARE TOUCHES THE DRIVE, ONLY UTORRENT DOES, WINDOWS DOES NO INDEXING OF THE DRIVE OR ANYTHING, NOTHING IS LOCKING IT, PERIOD.
You would be surprised what things try to access files without your prompting.

Simply LOOKING at the directory list in Windows Explorer can lock files for several hours and prevent deletion or editing, while 'thumbs.db' is flagged as, or for updating.

i do not have append .!ut checked
Then do so, then files that uTorrent (or any other BT client) requires exclusive access to become an "Unkown filetype" and will be excluded from the thumbnail database.
and the directory is not read-only,
And ALL the files in the directory?

i have full access and control of the drive.
But does uTorrent??
NO OTHER SOFTWARE TOUCHES THE DRIVE' date=' ONLY UTORRENT DOES, WINDOWS DOES NO INDEXING OF THE DRIVE OR ANYTHING, NOTHING IS LOCKING IT, PERIOD.[/quote']You would be surprised what things try to access files without your prompting.

Simply LOOKING at the directory list in Windows Explorer can lock files for several hours and prevent deletion or editing, while 'thumbs.db' is flagged as, or for updating.

i do not have append .!ut checked
Then do so, then files that uTorrent (or any other BT client) requires exclusive access to become an "Unkown filetype" and will be excluded from the thumbnail database.
and the directory is not read-only,
And ALL the files in the directory?

yes, uTorrent has full access to the drive.

i dont have the drive directory open while downloading, thumbs.db does not exist on the drive.

will check the box and try.

every file on the drive is fully accessible, no read-only attributes on anything.

thumbs.db does not exist on the drive.
thumbs.db is a hidden, system file that is a per directory file not per drive
i dont have the drive directory open while downloading, thumbs.db does not exist on the drive.
Either you are mis-reading or mis-interpreting.

You do NOT need to have it open at the same time it is if YOU HAVE had it open at any point and you have used content or thumbnail view, if the files are then changed at any point Windows will try to update the thumbnail database AND the "tooltips" data as a background process, which is not the same as the indexing service running.

thumbs.db does not exist on the drive.
thumbs.db is a hidden' date=' system file that is a per directory file not per drive
Either you are mis-reading or mis-interpreting.

You do NOT need to have it open at the same time it is if YOU HAVE had it open at any point and you have used content or thumbnail view, if the files are then changed at any point Windows will try to update the thumbnail database AND the "tooltips" data as a background process, which is not the same as the indexing service running.

i know that thumbs.db is a hidden file, exactaly why i turned on show hidden files and folders and searched for it and the returned result was nothing.

i have even done a complete shutdown and turned my PC on, never opened it at any point and its still happend.

regardless, it is working so far with the option checked like you mentioned, but waiting for the sweetspot to be hit on the torrent to see whether it happends again, will keep people posted.

EDIT: it made it past the sweetspot and is working now, thanks.

• 10 months later...

Archived