Torrents stuck at "Checking"

Red Z

Recently my computer shut down with uTorrent open, and after that, uTorrent won't download anything. All incomplete torrents are stuck at "Checking", with arbitrary percentage values: most show 0.0%, but one shows 85.5%, even though it has downloaded only 2.2 GB out of 10 GB. I'm on the latest version, and this never happened to me on previous versions.

So definitely NOT 'the latest' version then.

I see. How am I supposed to know what's the latest version' date=' then? When I select "Check for updates" (which I also did before starting this thread, BTW), I get a "There is no new version available at this time" message. Am I expected to assume that the program is lying at me and manually check what's the latest version on the site now? And how do I even do that? I [i']did check the site before starting the thread as well, but couldn't find the latest build number anywhere. Not even on the download page.

I had the same problem after this build (30017) was installed. Windows 7. I have my fire wall exceptions set. What I've found after hours of tinkering is that magnet links invariably result in the 'checking' problem. Downloading the torrent file directly appears to work.

Edited for typos and to add: PB, my torrent home, says to fix magnet problems, upgrade your client. As I said, I have the current stable build. I don't know enough about torrents, let alone the software used, though I'm quite clear on the basic concept.

Unfortunately, most of the torrents I want aren't available for direct download, so I have no idea where to go from here. The FAQ is useless in this situation, and searching Help for "checking" is a disaster. Once upon a time I could make DOS dance and sing, but it's been a very long time since I delved deeply into any piece of software other than channel management packages.

If there's another piece of info I should be looking at/into, could someone please let me know? Or perhaps someone else has encountered and fixed this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for giving this a read and perhaps some help.

Archived