How do I find out the file type of a video before I download it?

jimmybgood

I just started using the new Utorrent but on the old one you could always tell what the file type was before you downloaded it or at least as soon as you loaded the torrent.

Now, I don't see what it is until after I load the torrent in utorrent and then wait like 30 seconds or a minute until it actually starts downloading.

I know there must be a way to see the type of torrent earlier than this.

So can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
And put a check mark in box number two.

You mean the box that says "Show detailed info"?

So basically you Do have to just wait for it, there's no way, for example, to find out before you start downloading a file, what that file is? I mean, I know that some sites give that info, but I mean if the site doesn't say it's an .mkv or an .avi, we have to just click on it, load it and wait to see if it's the type file we can use, then if not, try another one?

Didn't utorrent used to offer an option for seeing info such as what type of file it was and which files were part of the torrent, and so on before loading it into the GUI?

You mean the box that says "Show detailed info"?
Yes.

Though actually showing the image I was referencing may have been a good move on my part.

3.3.0-prefs-ui-adding-enum.png

Didn't utorrent used to offer an option for seeing info such as what type of file it was and which tracks were available and so on before loading it into the GUI?

It still does, what we are explaining to you how to see that dialogue before starting the job downloading.

Hi, and thanks for the further clarification.

However after clicking those boxes I still am not seeing whether the file is an avi, mp4 or mkv anywhere - only once it starts to download.

Maybe this is a function of the link I am downloading it from, more than the software itself?

I'm not sure. All I know is I used to be given that info and now I'm not; however I used to download mostly from a torrent site that is no longer available.

Was going to upload an image but it seems I would have to upload it first to a host site then put the url here - too much trouble. Anyway the jpg screen shot shows that I did click the 3 boxes you said yet utorrent software still doesn't show what type of file it is in the GUI - until it starts downloading. Could have sworn it used to show it in the box that came up before you click OK and start the download.

Anyway the jpg screen shot shows that I did click the 3 boxes you said yet utorrent software still doesn't show what type of file it is in the GUI - until it starts downloading.

Only checkbox 2 needs to be 'on'

AND are you waiting for the metadata to load BEFORE clicking [Ok]??

Well thanks for the help but as near as I can tell the answer is that Utorrent just doesn't behave the way it used to, for whatever reason. I have gone through all the preferences and everything is set right yet it seems one just has to wait 30 sec or a minute before seeing what type file it is (avi, mp4 or etc).

I am sure it didn't used to take that long, and actually my connection is 3 times faster than it used to be, so it's not that. It could be a function of where I am downloading from, I suppose (eztv mostly).

Anyway I am willing to call this thread closed, I think we've exhausted all possibilities. Thanks.

Archived