Utorrent 3.3.1 damaging Micro-SD card SDD windows 7

utorrentmagbit

Untitled.jpg

When trying to download with utorrent to a Micro-SD card, I notice after a while the download speed will drop dramatically, 2.kb or so, and freeze my "computer", the hard drive and removable drive place. Trying to close the program won't work. I can't even "End Process" the torrent program in windows task manager. I have to reset my computer to un-freeze this crash. I have experienced this similar problem before causing by accidentally removal of a USB drive that utorrent was downloading to.

After rebooting my computer, I quick reformatted my SD card, tested it with h2testw, a USB memory testing program, and it gave me errors, showing some bad sector and some reading error. Then I fully reformatted this SD card, and tested again with h2testw. This time no error.

I don't think I have a damaged Micro-SD card, and Utorrent is not to be blamed because I have tried to download with utorrent to two different 16GB class 10 Micro-SD cards more than 5 times. Same error occurs every time: download speed drops, computer freezes, quick format h2testw shows errors, full format h2testw tests fine. I also have copied movies to the SD card, and it playback fine.

So my conclusion: Utorrent 3.3.1 is damaging Micro-SD cards.

Torrenting directly to flash media greatly reduces its lifespan regardless of client and version.

Additionally, the disk subsystem has been undergoing major changes the past few versions.

In my case, it's not just reducing the lifespan, but damaging it in a way that it won't work without a fully format.

So my conclusion: Utorrent 3.3.1 is damaging Micro-SD cards.
Deductive reasoning getting it wrong as usual.

It is NOT uTorrent doing that, it is more likely to be the "wear flattening" algorithm built in to the "on-chip" controller. Also having the volume formatted with a 'journalling' file system such as NTFS can ALSO create the problems you are getting. Use FAT32 or exFAT only.

However the basic premise is, do NOT have ANY BitTorrent client writing to 'flash' memory or SSDs.

Archived