3.3.2 update lost all settings, RSS downloader, and torrents. Help

shylok

So all my torrents are gone, as is every setting. My biggest pain is the RSS Downloader was configured for over a few dozen entries. Which I don't have a record of, and will have to hunt to reconfigure.

All I did was update when prompted, and it went through the upgrade process.

Is this data stored somewhere? Can I uninstall this very and reinstall a older one and get my settings and data back?

Thanks for your help.

Restore the .dat files from the backups you make on a regular basis.

Wouldn't it be great if the upgrade performed that step, in the event it failed to behave as expected. But I suppose for next time. I'll take that precautionary step myself.

I'm assuming it wiped the dat but will check.

I had the same experience last night.

Re: the pithy comment about "choosing to keep the settings during the (un)installation process": There is no uninstallation process. I started up uTorrent, it told me it was upgrading, and poof, all my settings, seeds, and downloads were gone.

And based on the recommended "solution", you're telling me that the .dat file format didn't even change, they just gratuitously removed the existing versions? That's ridiculous. This is a broken upgrade as far as I'm concerned, and I've been a software professional for a very long time. You just don't do crap like this to your customers, and all the "holier than thou" responses you've got aren't going to change that.

-- YS

the pithy comment about "choosing to keep the settings during the (un)installation process":

That can depend on what version you are udating to and from, the process is one of the few things that is getting 'fixed' so it's a little problematic to keep up especially when my 'update' method is to drop the new executable into the appropriate directory.

You just dump an update on customers that wipes out their existing setup, with no recourse?

Actually that can happen at any client startup, because if any of the dat files fail the verification check it will be renamed filename.dat.bad and a new default file is created. So if you find a resume.dat.bad in the installation directory ... that is what happened.

Archived