Can't install the last two uTorrent releases :(!

TrevorS

I've so far downloaded three versions of uTorrent from the uTorrent board (this board). Only the first one opens and allows installation (version 3.3.1.29182) on my WinXP SP2 system. That's the one I first installed some four or so months ago. I've since downloaded 3.3.1.30017 and just today 3.3.2.30260, but neither one opens when double clicked.

I'm actually running 3.3.2, but that's because it performed self-initiated updates. I just installed a fresh copy of WinXP SP2 on an SSD in the same system, and that led me to try the 3.3.2 install file, hence the download. I tried the double click on the old XP install as well (am keeping it) and behavior is identical, so it's not an install flaw. So, what's going on? Why can I still double click my originally downloaded 29182 file and have it open normally, whereas neither 30017 nor today's 30260 open -- just a brief flash of an hourglass?

Sure enough, I hadn't run into that blocking function before -- Thanks! :)

But got another question! When I got the SSD system running but was unable to run the current uTorrent installer, I copied the existing files from the old system (C:\Documents and Settings\ ... \Application Data\Bit Torrent and uTorrent directories over to the new system and installed a start link to the uTorrent.exe file. Everything worked perfectly as it continued to process the previous files. However, when I tried using magnet to load a new torrent, I got a message from FireFox saying I needed to specify a program to handle the file type.

I tried selecting FireFox and it immediately started opening a stream of tabs! Got it stopped and the tabs cleared, used Tools/Applications to change the program to uTorrent, and tried again. But again got a stream of tabs. Cleaned up again and went back to the old system drive to check the Tools/Applications program spec for magnet. It contained ["C:\Documents and Settings\ ... \Application Data\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe" "%1"], whereas my new system FireFox was showing just [use uTorrent]. Went back to the new install and can't find a way to edit that setting. So, I just used Control Panel to remove uTorrent and then used the unblocked file to re-install, however the Tools/Applications magnet specification is the same as before and if I try to load a torrent magnet, I get the same tab stream (expected the new install to correct that). All I can think of to try is remove (with settings) and re-install FireFox. Any other possibilities?

I'll be darned! When the application association window came up (after clicking a magnet link) I was afraid to select uTorrent.exe since I previously got a FireFox tab stream -- thought something else must be missing. Guess the earlier problem was due to having first chosen FireFox and couldn't fully back out of that. In any case, it just now worked -- Thanks! Nice to be back to normal again! :)

Archived