'Flood' time.

ciaobaby

C'mon guys three minutes (180s) between posts?????

I can type quicker than that.

And it will only mean that the spammers have to adjust the time delay on their bot control, they will still post the same amount of crap, it will just take a bit longer.

If you want to stop the posting posts, add a hidden field to the form and check for it being empty on submit. The bots such as xRumer will put something in the field, but real humans will not, and if the name of the field rotates from time to time it will keep them confused for quite a long while.

No, but a 3 min flood time does not stop them making 90 + posts, extending the 'flood time' only delays it, and unless you have moderators and admins available 24-7-365 the crap still piles up, albeit a little slower. And excessive flood times are far more effective at annoying users than at stopping the spammers. On one of our servers I have a couple of domains with various forum and 'blog' software setup purely as "honeypots", so I can test various spambot blocking methods to advise clients on.

By far the best way of stopping the likes of xRumer is to change a couple of input field names on a weekly or monthly basis. Because the bots are configured with "out of the box" field names for the particular forum scripts changing one of the required field names means any bot post with the default names is rejected, and if it is discarded 'silently' the bot operator gets no indication that their crap fell way short of the mark.

Archived