Errors in Downloads (Very Random)

WindowsStar

Running the lasted version of uTorrent from the website as of today.

Ok, here is the situation. I posted a request for a feature of “Automatically Restart” for a torrent download when it gets and error. This way the software will just restart without you manually having to click on the “Start Torrent” button. Why: Every once and a while I get a torrent that will not download without getting an error every hour or so. DreadWingNight told me to fix the problem and closed my thread. I would have never posted a request if I knew how to fix the problem. Plus before I posted the feature request searched and searched the internet for a fix. I have tried the following:

• Ran chkdsk on original hard drive of the system that has uTorrent software installed on it. (no errors)

• Upgraded the hard drive from a 160GB WD to a 750GB Seagate. (Seagate more cache and faster)

• Upgraded Computer to a newer system with more RAM and clean OS install. (Win7 Ultimate x64)

• Changed the master switch from 2004 HP Layer 2 to 2011 Cisco Layer 3. (Network is faster)

• Changed all the patch cords and cables to all devices from CAT5 to CAT6 all pre-built (not handmade).

• Ran chkdsk on server drives, several times (no errors).

• Upgraded the servers hard drives from 1TB x 6 WD on RAID 6 to 3TB x 6 Seagate on RAID 6 (all downloads stored here)

• Upgraded the server itself to i7 32GB RAM with a 4 port NIC teamed at 4GB on the Cisco Switch.

• Changed to a NAS storage device with 4 port NIC teamed at 4GB on the Cisco Switch. (all downloads stored here now)

• Upgraded my cable modem from DOCSIS 2 to DOCSIS 3 (yes my cable company supports the modem)

• Installed the newest stable version of uTorrent every time is comes out. (No Betas)

• Read the forums and have changed all the uTorrent settings to what is recommended.

None of those changes or tests made any difference, I still get an error downloading some torrents and there does not seem to be any reason why.

This brings me to today. Over the last 3 days I decided to do one other test. Currently I am downloading a 50GB torrent and it keeps erroring out every hour. 3 days ago I install different torrent software and started the same download with it to compare and see if it would error out or if it would work without error. Well today it finished the whole 50GB download without any errors. So now my question is? Is there a bug in uTorrent?

Yes I could just use the new torrent software but I like uTorrent and would like to stick with what I know and if there is an bug in it I want to help get it fixed to help everyone using the software.

Comments? Ideas? What fixes should I have done? Are there tests I missed?

Thank you for your time. -WS

Thank you DreadWingKnight.

Current error on the download is:

[2013-12-25 22:22:24] Error: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Error performing inpage operation. (WriteToDisk)

[2013-12-25 22:22:54] *** xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: PIECE 1088 FAILED HASH CHECK

[2013-12-25 22:23:42] *** xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: PIECE 8860 FAILED HASH CHECK

[2013-12-25 22:24:14] *** xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: PIECE 5753 FAILED HASH CHECK

Please Note: That I downloaded the same torrent with a different torrent software. I will not name unless I am asked to (I am not promoting other software). This was done on the same computer host to the same NAS system in the same folder. Only difference is the file name. They are both in the folder. It does not matter if I save to the file server or to the NAS directly I still get the same error. The file server is Windows 2008 R2 and the NAS is a variant of some *ix, most likely Linux.

"inpage operation" typically is hard disk errors. I have checked and rechecked the disk as well as replaced the hard drive and then the entire computer. Microsoft's site states to run CHKDSK to fix. I did this several times and it found no errors.

Thoughts? Thank you for your time.

Downloading successfully using a different client only reinforces the point that there probably IS a disc error in the sectors that have been allocated to the file(s) that uTorrent is downloading.

Two different files CANNOT share the same PHYSICAL space on the drive platters even if they are in the same directory,

@ciaobaby

Ok, then changing the hard drive on the host machine and then changing the physical machine would mean I have 3 hard drives that are bad? (2 different drives in original host machine 1 hard drive in new host machine). Plus the location that the download is stored was on 6 hard drives on RAID 6 then a different set of 6 hard drives on RAID 6. RAID 6 is designed to protect data and avoid errors. On top of all that I then changed to a NAS system (Linux based) on an entire different set of drives 8 on RAID 6. So by your statement all those drives are bad?

But to test your theory. I stopped the download that keeps erroring out and re-started it with a new file name (I did not delete the unfinished download). This means it will be using a different physical space on the drives. After several hours the torrent stop with the same error. I then started the other torrent software and started the same download with yet another name and it has not had a single error or stopped.

I guess then my question would be: then why by clicking on the "start torrent" button does it resume for another hour. If the disk was bad wouldn't it just error out right away? Also when the download does finish there is no problem with the download. Everything works perfectly. I can copy it anywhere, move, delete it etc. all works correctly. Also if I was having disk errors wouldn't I see that with other files throughout the network? Wouldn't I be having document issues, scanning, backups, email, etc. etc. All of which is working perfectly without errors.

Again this only happens on a torrent every once and a while. I have really tried to eliminate everything I possibly can to locate the problem.

I thank you for your suggestions and time.

Ideas?

x 6 WD

Just noticed this bit .. Are they SATA Caviar Green or Caviar Blue by any chance?

on an entire different set of drives 8 on RAID 6. So by your statement all those drives are bad?
Not necessarily it could mean a sector being used as parity block may be failing.

And of course a RAID 6 configuration is likely to cause problems for BitTorrent clients because of the extra parity writes. And given uTorrent V3 uTorrent less than stellar performance with disc writes ......

x 6 WD

Just noticed this bit .. Are they SATA Caviar Green or Caviar Blue by any chance?

Nope no green or blue on the WD and they have all been replaced with SATA Seagate constellation es.3 drives

on an entire different set of drives 8 on RAID 6. So by your statement all those drives are bad?
Not necessarily it could mean a sector being used as parity block may be failing.

And of course a RAID 6 configuration is likely to cause problems for BitTorrent clients because of the extra parity writes. And given uTorrent V3 uTorrent less than stellar performance with disc writes ......

Download stopped and started on a single SATA Seagate constellation es.3 drive purchased Nov-2013. Same error issues.

Many thanks for the new tests. Any more ideas?

I am at a loss as to how it is a hardware issue if I have replaced everything that it could possibly be replaced. Please help me understand and guide me to a solution. Recap: I have replaced hard drives not only replaced them but with very high quality drives. I have replaced the server, the host computer, and tried a NAS system instead of a server. Then I have also replaced networking equipment and all patch cables. I have no other data issues at all. I have no errors in my backups I have no issues moving data around. No issues with small files or large files. I have no permission issues. etc. etc. I tried all the suggestions here and I have gone beyond what I believe a typical user would do. I am willing to try other things if someone has another idea as to what the issue is. My thoughts are even if the request does not solve the problem it still does for me because then I don't have to babysit a download that I know will work if I click "start torrent" every hour that costs me days to download instead of just waiting for it to finish overnight.

More testing that I have done:

I ran more "chkdsk" tests on the OS drive and the data drive. No errors found.

I ran Microsoft "Sanddisk". No errors found.

I ran "Seagate Seatools". No errors found.

I ran the "Hitachi Drive Fitness Test". No errors found.

I also tried "Bart's Stuff Test" and it found no errors.

Thank you everyone for their input and suggestions.

Again what other suggestions are there to resolve the problem? I am open to ideas and suggestions.

More information:

In hopes to track down a solution to this problem. I have discovered that the torrent downloads that give this error have one thing in common. There will be people that have 100% of the file but I do NOT connect to any of them. I always have connections to the people without the entire file 1% to 99%. I have tested this with 6 different downloads. Typically these downloads are slow too. 100kB to 400kB

Please note that I have downloaded other files without error but I do make connections to people with 100% of the file. These downloads are fast 1.0MB to 8.0MB.

I have stopped the torrent re-started it, I have paused others, I have started new downloads nothing makes a difference.

I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem but I wanted to note it. -WS

Archived