Encryption Not working after May 1st on Rogers

HyperXX

I had rogers. It was horrible. I got 30KBps max download on a 3mbit connection.

I can now get more then what I am supposed to get with Bell Sympatico.

Switch to bell sympatico! They are amazing...

Rogers is one of the worst companies I know of :/

I have both Rogers and Bell.

Rogers sucks for bittorrent but is amazing for everything else.

Bell is amazing for bittorrent but sucks for everything else (horrible routing = 100+ping to newyork from toronto when its 30 ping on rogers)

Bell was total garbage for the first 3 weeks I had it, after about 10 phone calls to bell i decided to fix it myself by doing some research and creating a pppoe account that somehow fixed the issues with their speedstream modem that would make all connections randomly disconnect... but now its fine.

Apparently theres this company in toronto that doesn't throttle p2p activity with the same bandwidth as rogers, but I can't for the life of me remember what my brother told me the website was.. but its supposed to be good.

*edit*

found it in my history:

http://www1.magma.ca/residential/highspeed/index.cfm

I'm not 100% sure, my brothers 'friend' told him he should switch to this from rogers because it doesnt throttle p2p. It should also have unlimited bandwidth usage, unlike rogers which has 100gb cap for high speed extreme and 60gb for everything else.

That ain't all:

"Rogers users discuss the Canadian cable company's 100Gig monthly download cap, and their tactic of limiting customers who cross that cap to a measly 128kbps/64kbps." - broadbandreports

Word is they've backed off that policy (for now).. but still, holy shit. Of course, a rather large segment of the BBR popultion defend the decision and spew shit about "clueless cutomers" and whatnot. Cardinal rule of business is NEVER, EVER piss on the people that pay your mortgage. They oversell, then they whine. Pathetic. Hope they enjoy the IPTV revolution.

• 2 months later...
Well, considering that proxying tracker communications effectively breaks incoming connections, why would you want to?

I have tried using Tor (http://tor.eff.org/) and it works great. I do not use the ISPs mentioned in this thread, but for me tracker communications seem to work better through Tor with my own ISP. All you have to do in uTorrent is go to Options->Preferences->Connection. After Tor+Vidalia+Privoxy is installed and verified to be working, select Socks5 as the Type, enter 127.0.0.1 into the Proxy field, put 9050 in the Port field, but there is one more step or else everyone will think the Tor exit server is you, which is obviously not the case.

To change this, in the left pane go to BitTorrent and enter your IP address in the field named IP/Hostname to report to tracker. Now you should know that tracker communications will not always work because your circuits will not always contain an exit server with an exit policy compatible with communicating with servers at strange port numbers like 6176 and 10240 and other weird ones. One notable Tor server is chaoscomputerclub among other several others.

It is very easy to make up for the bandwidth used from the Tor network by running your own server, provided that either your ISP is fine with you running a server, or else if it's against your contract then it's your choice to do it anyway. I'd imagine browsing through Tor (which I do a lot) uses more bandwidth considering that (most?) trackers are updated by clients every twenty minutes or so. I would NEVER use Tor for the actual data transferred, I'd much sooner give up filesharing.

I have had only one torrent out of all I've downloaded/seeded not ever update the tracker info through Tor. Since Tor only transports TCP streams, UDP trackers cannot be contacted and you have to have an HTTP one. Anyway, I was proposing a solution but feel free to shoot it down if you've got any (more) arguments.

• 2 years later...

Archived