STRANGE torrent files (not mine) in my recycle bin

timewaitsfornoman

I found a number of torrent files in my recycle bin for shows that I did not download, and would not have downloaded. They were never active in my µTorrent program.There's nobody else that uses this computer. I am certain of this.

1. Windows 8 operating system
  2. latest version of µTorrent
  3. ISP = Comcast
  4. AVG antivirus
  5. ... and yes, I'm absolutely certain I didn't download these torrents. Not even by accident.

What could be causing this? I'm not very well-versed in the intracate workings of P2P filesharing, but though that perhaps these files could have passed from other users to whom I was connected for different torrents that I actively downloaded? (if that makes any sense)

My concern is that somehow someone is using my connection to download files or has hijacked my system in some fashion. Any meaningful input that stems beyond pure conjecture is much appreciated.

***UPDATE***

Dunno why I didn't think of this from the start, but I tried restoring the files to see where they'd end up. Turns out they were in a subfolder of another torrent I downloaded ... is this like a common 'marketing' ploy that some uploaders use to push more of their torrents? The subfolder was titled "TSV Torrents," the uploader of the one I originally sought out and downloaded. Does this make sense to anybody?

Thanks again to you guys for responding. Much appreciated.

Did you enable webui?

DreadWing ... I didn't enable WebUI ... but I suppose that would be a possibility if it were enabled.

AVG is enough reason to worry.. get Kaspersky

Seyss ... I'm not sure I follow your answer. Are you confirming that it is most definitely a security breach that was caused by AVG ... with certainty or a high degree of probability? Or are you just noting your preference for antivirus programs? If it's a security issue, I'll address my choice in programs later ... but first I'd like to find out more information on what's going on.

I guess to be more clear, is this issue something that happens sometimes? Or is something problematic going on? I've seen one other person mention it but the responses were no good:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130204031450AAx4jUK

The torrents in my recycle bin were never initiated, downloaded, or deleted by me, AND NOBODY ELSE HAS PHYSICAL ACCESS TO MY COMPUTER. I want to know what could have caused this.

***UPDATE***

Dunno why I didn't think of this from the start, but I tried restoring the files to see where they'd end up. Turns out they were in a subfolder of another torrent I downloaded ... is this like a common 'marketing' ploy that some uploaders use to push more of their torrents? The subfolder was titled "TSV Torrents," the uploader of the one I originally sought out and downloaded. Does this make sense to anybody?

Thanks again to you guys for responding. Much appreciated.

Archived