Weird CRC error

UezeU

Running utorrent 1.5. I am in the middle of downloading a large torrent (7.58 GB) and am getting repeated crc errors. It is only one torrent that this occurs on. I have downloaded a grand total of about 20 GB of other torrents during this intermitant problem (slow torrent). I have done a little troubleshooting. I ran Prime95 on the heavy ram setting for about 6 hours, nothing. Did a low level scan on the harddrive (have yet to see one actually catch a crash before it happens though). Even with my reservations about HDD scanners I doubt it is the drive, around a year old. It is my torrent drive so it does get flogged, but still. Anyways it is this one torrent, is there any way to find if someone is sending bad md5s, I heard it has been cracked. Is it just a bad torrent, it would be surprisining since I am seeing 6 seeds and 84 peers. Any suggestions??

any idea why this is happening with only one torrent. It happens about every 5-60 minutes, on only this torrent. I have had it stopped for a couple of days, no problems with anything else. Start up this specific torrent and CRC errors galore. I am thinking it has to be some reporting issue. If my ram or hdd were spewing crcs like that I would have to notice it in something else. Of course, that is my speculation. Any other ideas on how to test this beyond putting another client on the machine, like to save that as a last resort (long story). Btw, in the couple minutes that I wrote this post it gave me two crc errors. I just can't see this being a classic crc error. Any know exactly what utorrent reports as a crc. Also the crc error is a balloon coming out of utorrent, not a system level warning.

I am not running Fat32, good old ntfs. I just ran a second low level disk check, everything was fine. I can now see how this might happen. I might have a bad sector that has been already allocated for that specific torrent and when it tries to write to that sector the crc fails. That could explain the single torrent issue. Still, if it is so obvious to utorrent, how come disk scans show nothing? I guess I will try Bittornado. I'll post back when I get some results, anymore suggestions would be appreciated.

Just tried out BitTornado and I recieved (Errno 13: I/O error Permission denied). It seems this error is most common when two applications are trying to access the same file. I am convinced at this point it is not a hardware problem. Anyone have an idea how I can weed out the offending file without deleteing all 3 gigs worth of DL?

stop the torretn, copy the data to another physical (!) hdd and try the torrent there.

And if you get also an error in an other BT aplication than that is even more a sign of hardwareerror then!

But do not believe us, cause we are idiots, and the FAQ that explaines CRC error is also written by some total moron :-(

Alright, I am in the middle of transfering the torrent to another computer on my network. It will be done in about an hour. Guest, I appreciate your input and don't get mad, I am just praying this isn't hardware related. So, yes, I am biased in my thinking. You said the second error proved the error was hardware. I don't agree because the error code seems software related. Of course, I could be wrong. I read the faq, but the specific problem I had doesn't seem top follow classic crc symptoms. we will all see soon. I'll post once I get the torrent going on the other computer (damn the slow network!)

Well....as Ultima predicted the file hung 45 minutes into the transfer. The files have been deleted. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE.

Now for the I told you so section. My computer just suffered a nasty little crash. Seems to be related to interrupts. Anytime utorrent is running my interrupt CPU utilization goes through the roof. It is starting to look a lot like the hardware is going kaput. That was for you Guest, cause you are saying I told you so :) Anyways, thanks for the help. Time to break out UBCD.

Archived