slow download

oka

i am having 256 kbps broadband. utorrent shows yellow light at the status bar. how to make it green. how to increase the download speed. the average download speed as shown in utorrent is 3 kB/s.

i am a novice. so pls help.

i tested my internet speed. my upload speed is 64 kbps. download speed is 256 kbps.

i clicked on "Test if port is forwarding properly" and got the following message,

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 24506 on 64.92.45.67...

Error! Port 24506 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (208.99.198.134) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

what should i do next?

utorrent Guest, Firon - i tried all the links which you gave. got fully confused. thats the reason why i unistall the torrent client immediately after i install it.

torrent is not simple to use for novices.

The complexity comes from having multiple computers connected to 1 internet connection through a router.

If you don't have a router, it's a LOT easier.

Plus, if you pick the correct speed in speed guide (CTRL+G), that sets a bunch of things for you.

the portforwarding thing is not something special torrent related.

portforwarding comes everytime in the focus if you deal with a router and you want your computer beeing connectable from the internet. may it be an onlinegame, may it be "torrenting" or what ever that needs interaction with the outside Internet worlds.

But if you really feel that the progression help is to much complicated for you my personal recommendation for you is the third link on the downloadpage:

http://www.utorrent.com/download.php

"Get UseNeXT - Download files without uploading"

http://www.usenext.de/index.cfm?TD=381328

Using that and you don't need to worry about making yourself connectable.

The complexity comes from having multiple computers connected to 1 internet connection through a router.

If you don't have a router, it's a LOT easier.

I do not have multiple computers connected. I also do not use router.

but you have something that "acts like a router"! (= it is blocking your direct connection to the internet)

If you would have a non blocked direct connection to the internet the testresults would be "green".

Note: the blocking device can be in the hardware that is on your side of the line or it could be on the side of your ISP. So your answer "I also do not use router." might be right, but still you are blocked somehow. Therefore i gave you the link to the forward progression to rule out problems on your side of the line! :-)

P.S: a nice film how this "internet thingy" works in easy to understandable words (many choosable languages!) can be found here:

http://www.warriorsofthe.net/

Edit: tyop ;-)

oka said: "I do not have multiple computers connected. I also do not use router."

Oh, ok.

I guess you're firewalled due to some software (antivirus, antispyware, firewall app, or even a trojan.)

Well, it's REALLY fun if you have a router you don't understand. :lol:

Archived