Possible for ISP's to Crash uTorrent?

zeiroe

Hello everyone,

Long time user but first time posting on the boards.  I have a question/observation I'd like to share and I'm interested to see what everyone thoughts are on ISP's possibly corrupting torrent packets and crashing uTorrent clients.

About six months ago I noticed that my client would randomly crash multiple times throughout the day with an out of memory error and couldn't generate an error log for the crash.  I have about 20+ RSS feeds in utorrent for my downloads, so I shortened my RSS list but it didn't help my client crashes.  Utorrent always seemed to pick up where it left off so I wasn't too concerned with the error and just let it slide.  I did see some client crash threads on the boards but they didn't help and I wasn't going to roll back to an older client with my plus subscription.

The past two week has been different.  After reading the articles that ISP's are intentionally throttling Netflix traffic, and a VPN has been proven to work around the throttling, I decided to get one for myself.  I didn't get the VPN with utorrent in mind.  What I download isn't illegal so I didn't think my ISP might be the cause of my client crashes until I got the VPN.  After months of random crashes throughout the day, my crashes magically stopped once I started using the VPN.

I decided to not name my ISP for the moment and just wanted to see what others think.

I wouldn't constrain possible issues to just corrupting torrent packets, but it's highly unlikely for an ISP to intentionally crash software running on a users system. It could turn into a huge legal mess if an ISP tried to do that.

It is interesting that the crashes stopped though. Have you alternated running with the VPN and without, to be sure?

Odd I use Ut regular a older version like 2.2 and had no crashes like you did. Since we have no background info what Ut files are and where they are downloaded from and how your settings are set in UT this is at current speculation without much from what other can gleam or test the theory out???

Where did you read that about Netflix, may we get a source?

ISP's that throttle network traffic based on what?

Torrents can use random ports, so you can't really limit their bandwidth usage on external equipment, that isn't how QoS works either.

Also, just try to use OpenDNS or other DNS servers that got no lookup restrictions, I think that might cause some issues for you since most blocks are upon lookups, you might also want to disable IPv6 (depends on your router, mine as example overrides manually set IPv4 DNS servers)

I have looked over several public VPN solutions in the last decade, they are all way to slow.

Archived