vexing port forwarding problem

drfred

I have a uTorrent port problem that has me vexed. This may be a Windows 7 problem,(shocker, I know...)

Home network has Netgear WNR3500U/L running Tomato v 1.28.

MacBook Pro can connect and download with uTorrent without any problems.

This Windows 7 machine is running uTorrent 3.4.2 (build 33023). I have set up port 13135 for listening in uTorrent and port forwarded both TCP and UDP ports in Tomato as such: On, no explicit source address, ext port 13135, int port 13135, int address 192.168.1.150 (this machine).

If I run the Port Forward Network Utilities Port Check it says that 13135 is 'open' on both TCP and UDP. If uTorrent is running in the background it will give an error that another application has locked that port (so I know that uTorrent is using the right port).

But if I go to uTorrent->Options->Setup Guide->Run Tests it gives Results: Port is not open (you are still able to download). It does not matter if the Automatic port mapping checkbox is checked or not. I have tried disabling the Options->Preferences->Enable UPnP port mapping and Options->Preferences->Enable NAT-PMP port mapping without any luck.

This should work and I'm sure it is something silly I've missed. Any ideas?

AHA, progress, but still not complete success. This computer has both wired and wireless connections to the network. It appears that the Port Checker utility sends out on the wired IP address and the uTorrent sends out on the wireless IP address by default. (must be different API calls or something). Anyway, the router was port forwarding back on the wired IP address, so Port Checker would work fine, while uTorrent should still have gotten the message, but on a different IP address.

How does uTorrent handle the situation when more than one route to the internet is available?

And ... what about if IPv6 addressing is available? This computer also has an IPv6 address ...

Speaking of which, Tomato has a section for IPv6 port forwarding - I assume this is to redirect an external IPv6 address to a specific IP/port combination on the internal LAN?

Did you read the post? It is Windows 7. I think the problem is how uTorrent talks to Windows to get a connection to the internet. I am assuming that uTorrent does not try to negotiate TCP/IP itself but relies on system calls. The problem lies in a system that has multiple connections to the internet - 2 different IPv4 addresses for wired and wireless and also an IPv6 address. uTorrent craps out because it does not think the right port is open.

I need to go read about ports in IPv6, but still the IPv4 problem is real.

IP addresses on this machine are static in the router for IPv4: 192.168.1.150 for ethernet, 192.168.1.105 for wifi. Strange thing is the different behaviour between the Port Checker tool which says the port is open and uTorrent which says the port is closed. I suspect is has to do with Port Checker sending out and then getting back the signal on 192.168.1.150 and uTorrent sending out on 192.168.1.105 -> then the router port forwards the response to 192.168.1.150 so uTorrent thinks the port is closed.

I have cut off the wireless TCP/IP connection on the machine because I don't need it except for some specific things and then uTorrent seems to work sporadically - sometimes it says the port is open and I get peer-to-peer connections, but at other times instead of a green check mark in the toolbar I have an orange triangle and get no peer-to-peer connections. All other internet traffic on the machine seems OK.

What does uTorrent do if the machine has both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses?

192.168.1-255, but about 30 addresses are assigned/static.

I'm running OK now. The outstanding question, if anyone has any knowledge of the code, is how does uTorrent handle the situation where there are multiple IPv4 and IPv6 addresses assigned to the machine that the software is running on?

Archived